Windshield Washer Motor Frozen or Broken? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Windshield Washer Motor Frozen or Broken?
Sunday, February 04, 2007 12:03 AM
My windshield washer motor worked a couple of days ago (windshield washer fluid sprayed out). It has since turned very cold here in Michigan....temperatures are below zero at night and not getting above the single digits during the day. My problem is when pull the lever back it sounds like the windshield washer motor is not even coming on now (no hum). Can the windshield washer fluid motor freeze up or has the pump/motor quit on me? Again it worked before it got real cold. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Windshield Washer Motor Frozen or Broken?
Sunday, February 04, 2007 1:04 AM
I would first of all check youre Fuse to see if its good. It could be youre motor may be frozen, It should still make some kind of noise, You use a hair dryer to deice the wiper motor, Or just wait until it ice melts.
Sunday, February 04, 2007 7:32 AM
Try pouring some hot water on the lines and the spray nozzle(s), then try using your windshield washer. Perhaps some water got into the lines and they are frozen. This happens alot with my car in the winter time and the hot water resolves the problem everytime.
Sunday, February 04, 2007 2:05 PM
Try what andrew said, unless its below 15F then you'll just succeed in instantly making a nice pool of ice on the windshield and hood(a bitch to scrape off again). At low temperatures the lines tend to freeze very easily with cheap warm weather washer fluid.

Sunday, February 04, 2007 2:15 PM
Just wait til it gets warm.
The same thing happened to my car too. I would try it and I could hear the pump but nothing would come out. Then I tried it the next day and no sound at all and nothing came out. Waited til it warmed up and it worked fine.

-Seth

Monday, February 05, 2007 11:38 AM
I fixed the problem.....I just fired up a hairdryer and aimed it at the windshield washer fluid motor for about 10 minutes. It is best to get at the pump motor from the ground, when it is cold this is not fun at all....but it is better than driving blind. Thanks to all for your help. Have a great day!!
Tuesday, February 13, 2007 11:43 AM
It's been cold here too. When I pull back on the lever, the pump motor does not even hum. Could it just be frozen? I will try the methods above, but how difficult is it to change the motor? or could it just be a fuse? but why would a fuse blow w/o something else wrong? thanks.

mtbon
Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:28 AM
Just froze up!! Had some water in the bottom of the tank where the motor is. Interesting how the motor did not even hum until I hit with the hair dryer.

mtbon
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search