How not to fill your car with R-134A freon - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How not to fill your car with R-134A freon
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:39 AM
OK, so I went out and bought the R134A from wally world, then I left it in my car that had to be well over 100 degrees, being that it was 95 out and the windows were all the way up.

When I got back out to my car at the end of the day, my car was filled with R134A but my AC still doesn't work. Maybe I did it wrong and maybe you aren't supposed to have a cracked windshield when you are thru. But the can was empty and laying on my dash when I remember leaving it in the back in a bag and there was a film over everything! What happened???? I just don't get it! Check out these pics and see if you agree.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: How not to fill your car with R-134A freon
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:03 PM
thats ux dude but if it makes you feel any better i think i just pissed myself i laughed so hard
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:10 PM
gene simmons wrote:thats ux dude but if it makes you feel any better i think i just pissed myself i laughed so hard

+1

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:14 PM
WOW! So what was that you were sayin' about my jb weld job??lol.Damn that sucks,car is def. becoming a project now.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:30 PM
well its actually a co-worker's car, but yesterday he asked us to look into recharging it, under further inspection he still has R-12, so he threw the can in the back of his car and called it a day. He came in today telling me and another guy what he found when he left yesterday. We laughed our asses off, so i had to share.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:50 PM
I re-phrase my comment,sucks for him.I have never seen anything like that happen before.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:16 PM
This is just too good....I literally just got done replacing my A/C compressure and charged the system with the same type of cans that blew up in your car.. If you read the warning label on the bottle it actually says "Do not leave canister in your car, it may overheat and explode", I quess they wheren't lying

Those canisters are under a lot of pressure dude, it doesn't take that much heat to make them burst (kinda like big CO2 canisters). I read the warning label, because anything thats potentially explosive scares the hell out of me. When you do re-charge the car, make damn sure you hook up the the low pressure side (blue cap). If you hook up to the high pressure side, you could kill yourself (not exagerating).

Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:26 AM
i'll never have to worry about that happening considering it's outlawed in WI.

and my sunfire really needs a recharge. that means i'll either have to take it to a shop or drive down to IL.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Friday, June 29, 2007 5:19 AM
BoltZ22 wrote:i'll never have to worry about that happening considering it's outlawed in WI.

and my sunfire really needs a recharge. that means i'll either have to take it to a shop or drive down to IL.

How is R134a outlawed in your state?? I do not understand that.

FU Tuning

Friday, June 29, 2007 8:40 AM
I don't see how it's outlawed other than being a Federal offense to release the gas into the atmosphere

Friday, June 29, 2007 8:53 AM
scott-that's hilarious. i looked at the pics and i was wondering whose car it was cause i know your cav isn't tan and tabby's is red and...well....it sure wasn't the green truck lol

Friday, June 29, 2007 1:04 PM
i've had a lighter blow up in my car.

Friday, June 29, 2007 2:03 PM
The sale of the R134A recharge canisters is probably outlawed so people don't hurt themselves, or the enviroment, you probably have to have a certified professional do it over there.

Hey bolt, next time your in MN (your coming to the meet right?) just pick up the stuff you need to do it here, and bring it back with you, it's not very expensive and they don't check ID's.

I think the only thing I ever had explode in any of my cars is a can of Coca-Cola. Not counting any ex-girlfriends of course.

Friday, June 29, 2007 4:46 PM
Quote:

The sale of the R134A recharge canisters is probably outlawed so people don't hurt themselves, or the enviroment, you probably have to have a certified professional do it over there.

same thing in ontario, you have to take the car to a shop.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:17 AM
Well down here in Florida there aint no regulations or nuttin, heck there aint even emissions tests! I betcha could drive down the street with open headers and the cops wont even pull ya over. We gots lotsa cans of R134A all over the place down here. Might have something to do with tha weather...

------------------------------------
We all drive in a yellow Cavalier...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search