parts keep falling off engine - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
parts keep falling off engine
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:52 PM
I noticed this today, and have never seen it before, its right next to the last intake port on the head.....any clues what go here, I have no engine problems so im sorta bamboozled. thanks in advance!!!!

Re: parts keep falling off engine
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 3:59 PM
Thats your egr valve im pretty suire you can just get a cover plate but you will have to get the broken bolts out first.

My car--->http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569452

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:04 PM
COOL, that sucks it just randomly fell off, I will look into a block off plate.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:08 PM
so can I just block it or should I try to find a EGR valve to put back on it. I dont know how long its been missing.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:35 PM
Well i don't own a 2.4 so im not 100% sure but im pretty sure you can just block it off and have no problems. I would wait to see what someone says that has done this before.

My car--->http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569452

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:22 PM
make sure your locality does not have emissions testing... a blocked off or missing EGR will fail you on almost any State inspection.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 1:05 PM
I always wondered why the EGR was / is even needed. The Civic didn't have it, but then again the Civic only ran 9.1 CR...

------------------------------------
We all drive in a yellow Cavalier...
Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:59 PM
interesting cause honda is hardcore about all the emissions stuff... in the state of Virginia... all cars are required to have one to pass yearly state inspection...

Friday, June 29, 2007 10:53 AM
Well,your car is a 2002,so you dont have an egr valve.The 96-98 2.4 have the egr valve.I dont know if theres a plate thats supposed to cover it or what.Your exhaust manifold gasket blocks the supply for the egr,so theres nothing thats gonna come out of that hole.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Friday, June 29, 2007 1:25 PM
I d'ont have any idea about what goes there, but all i know is that you are not the only one to miss it. just look in the topic What to do if your 2.4 loses oil often... on the second pic you can see it missing too.
Friday, June 29, 2007 2:10 PM
Quick question, did you buy your car with that intake on it. It lookes like the egr would be in the way of the intake if it was there. I'm having that problem with mine, maybee someone removed it on purpose. There's a plug that goes to the egr that obviousley isn't plugged in anymore, is your check engine light on?

Friday, June 29, 2007 3:26 PM
it had that intake when I got it..... the motor is out of a 2001 z24, and I just called the previous owner and he has no clue if it was there or not when he had it..... I am going to our local meet tonight so I will check with the other 2.4 people and see whats going on.... I do have a CEL but it goes on and off like every other day.... i guess I will check it with a scanner soon, I just dont think its good to have a open hole to the engine.

Friday, June 29, 2007 3:33 PM
THERE IS NO EGR on 2001.. thats completely normal.. u dont need the plate either unless u want it to look pretty and waste money

even if you did have an egr.. there is a harness that attaches to the top of it, it would of been dangling.
Friday, June 29, 2007 3:44 PM
^^^^okay that a bit of good news...however I don't why the bolts would be broken off then ( you can see them in the third pic).

Friday, June 29, 2007 4:05 PM
hmm ... i didnt know that ...

so is that gaping hole supposed to be blocked off to begin with??? im not a big fan of gaping holes in a motor...

Also on my 2.2 the only thing attached at the top of the EGR is a vaccum line... which wouldnt hold it if that was all that was holding it up...

Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:23 AM
The first Civic passed California emissions without a cat. And there is an EGR on the Canada model D series engines for the Civic. Presumably it's there because of federal regulations but otherwise isn't needed to provide proper operation.

But you know what's scary about EGR systems? The VW Bug TDI has to have one because of regulations. So what happens is hot, sooty, tar-laden diesel exhaust gets recirculated through the engine. And that crap doesn't come off! Bead blast it all you want, but it is a beast to remove, and eventually it gums up the engine.

I understand the reasoning behind the EGR, but why not stop the forming of NOx or trap it a better way?

------------------------------------
We all drive in a yellow Cavalier...
Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:03 PM
when i read the subject line i nearly pee'd

Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:12 PM
okay well it seems every 2.4 I looked at the meet last night had that piece missing, so im not going to worry about it. although I still find it odd that there are broken bolts in the holes. oh well

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:40 AM
you would have a severe vacuum leak if the egr fell off......which you didnt have one to begin with.
Saturday, July 14, 2007 9:39 AM
hey guys! A cover plate does go there im at work and i just looked it up and ordered the parts for my car also lol!
GM gasket# 24573947
GM plate# 24575505
GM bolt # 11517518.
Sunday, July 15, 2007 8:20 AM
My friends 90' Wrangler EGR fell off. hanging by the vacuum line.

what a pos jeep. over 1500 in parts to fix it in the past week and its still not up to snuff.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 9:24 AM
My 99Z looks identical...no worries. Like said above....no EGR so if you want a plate...it will be for looks only.

Monday, July 16, 2007 5:27 AM
they made the blockoff plate for engines that actually had the egr..............
Monday, July 16, 2007 8:49 AM
Ive had mine since i drove it off the lot new and its got a plate on it from factory! Im pretty sure the 2.4 ran a egr valve up to like 1998! The design in the block didn't change after 98 so of course theres a hole in da block for an egr that Gm made a blockoff plate for and used it in factory production 99, 00, 01,02!
Monday, July 16, 2007 9:39 AM
They didnt use it in 2001 for sure.....and he has a 2001 motor. when i replaced my motor i thought i was missing a part.

so they must have changed something because i dont have any exhaust blowing out of the vestigial EGR mount
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search