gm crate motor or rebuild - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gm crate motor or rebuild
Monday, July 02, 2007 8:56 PM
Hello,
I bought a 97 sunfire gt with the 2.4l and manual about 3 months ago. The car has about 107k miles on it. I dont know how the last person drove the car, but to be honest I have rodded it around town 95% of the time. I bought it cheap and its my "beater". But last week on a trip I downshifted to third to pass a guy and I hit the rev limiter (not the first time) I felt a lack of power but I thot it was from hitting the rev limiter. I had the music up and about 15 miles down the road I heard a faint knock. I pulled over and sure enough it was coming from the motor. I checked the oil and everything looked good. I was out in the middle of nowhere about 60 miles from town so I drove it back. No check engine light or low oil light. The knock is real faint at idle and really noticible around 2000-2500 rpms and stops when you let off the gas as the motor revs down. From reading on here it looks like it probably spun a bearing. If you put your hand on the passenger top side of the motor is where you can feel it best. So I started getting ready to pull the motor. I am going to get it out and then inspect the internals. But I see you can pick up the crate motor for about 1700 shipped. Would that be the way to go or would I be able to build up the motor for about the same price. If so what should I use.
Any advice / thoughts let me know,
Thanks,
J Rigby

Re: gm crate motor or rebuild
Monday, July 02, 2007 11:14 PM
In my opinion, build, build, build. Of course, this whole answer will depend on:

1) your budget
2) who would be doing the work (ie. mechanic, friend, dad, or you)

For $1700 though (if you're able to do the work yourself), you could build a pretty damn bullet-proof hopped-up LD9 that would put a stock crate 2.4 to shame.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 5:55 AM
How about you find out if it is a spun bearing, inspect for damage, and then rebuild what you have if you have the money.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:30 PM
Well I will probably be doing all the work myself, except machining, that will have to be done by a shop. Also as far as taking the motor out the top, is there enough clearance, I have read others saying that it can be done. Do I just unbolt the motor from the bellhousing or does the bellhousing need to come out with the motor. I am down to just motor mounts and where it mounts to the tranny.
As far as budget goes, If I can build up the motor to be reliable and have a worth while amount of power for the same money ie $1700, than I would rather do that. Although I'm thinking I may just get the crate motor and gasket match everything. Along with the 2.3l HO intake and TB. But alot will depend on what went wrong with this motor.
thanks again
jrigby
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 11:12 PM
First journal you should check is #3 rod. the 2.4's are known to starve that one for oil.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search