Starter or ignition? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Starter or ignition?
Sunday, July 08, 2007 11:15 AM
went to start the cav this morning for work and it cranked and fired right up like normal but then i herd all this grinding and i was like what the hell? so i shut the car off and the starter was still cranking, it never stopped even when the engine was running, so i played with the clutch and that didn't work and i tried starting it again, it fired up but the starter was still cranking so i shut it back off, eventually had to just take the negative off the battery cuz i could not get the thing to stop cranking

hooked it up back, when i got home and it's working just fine

i am leaning towards a starter cuz if it was ignition i think the clutch would have to be pushed down for that thing to be cranking i would imagine it's all conected. Checked the wiring book and there is no relay or anything for the starter that could be messing up but before i went and bought a new one i was just seeing if anyone else had the problem, of if you think it's the igintion switch or something or the sort.

thanks in advance.

Re: Starter or ignition?
Sunday, July 08, 2007 6:17 PM
it could just be a faulty starter, but if you're not sure then bring it to AutoZone or O'reilley's and they can check it for you for free. But if it isn't the starter then I suspect that it could be the ignition switch .

Monday, July 09, 2007 8:22 AM
the starter has a built in relay...

i would put money that it is the relay inside of the starter

if the design hasn't changed(from my old cavy), the inputs on the starter are <Battery +> < Battery -> and <ignition strt>, the ignition start puts power to the relay, which then puts power to the solenoid(pushes the bendex) and turns the starter motor

the relay inside of the starter can stick, causing it to keep the starter motor spinning. if it happens either directly 'hitting' the starter motor(on the smaller cylinder) or possibly by 'bucking' the engine

-thomas
Tuesday, July 10, 2007 8:24 AM
thanks guys, i did replace the starter because it and the solenoid are all one piece, and so far so good so that was probably it

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search