RPM too high - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RPM too high
Monday, September 24, 2007 8:17 PM
This just started last week. My car's electronics actually died due to no battery at all. Turns out the negative got loose from the chassis. Now thats fixed. The starts are stronger but now my idle is weird. When starting it would jump all the way to 2K RPM and would take at least 10 seconds to go back to normal (around 1K). Also when I drive it and put it to neutral sometimes it would get stuck at 1.5-2K RPM. I dont know if the loose negative had anything to do with this RPM issue, I just mentioned it because it was the only change I did to my car recently. Any ideas?

Re: RPM too high
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 7:49 AM
help?
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:19 AM
It's a software problem. You could try waiting until the idle is where you like it, then yank the IAC motor harness and it will stay that way.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:23 AM
or check your vacuum lines and intake manifold for leaks. also check your throttle linkages for "stickyness"

"Z24 Dustbunny"
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:58 AM
haha this might sound rediculous, but take off your intake and check to see if there is anything stuck in your throttle.

A rubber gasket that was sealing my intake got sucked into the throttle, and held it open. thus keeping the idle at 3500+ rpms.

I doubt it would be you as well, but it's just a thought

I'm back from the dead.
Currently Driving: RSX Type-S.
My Cavalier Burnt up :-(
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search