starter??? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
starter???
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:45 PM
hello everyone,

i had a question about my wifes 01 2.2l cav. last week she came home for lunch and when she started her car to go back to work all the accessories came on but the car didnt turn over. im assuming its the starter because prior to this when she would start her car it sounded like a grinding sound (sort of like when your cars already started and you turn the ignition again). i checked it out a couple days ago and it started right up but still with that noise. today i went and tried again i heard the grinding sound for a second but the car wouldnt start, that was after i played with the starter wiring a bit. all accessories still work but it wont crank over.

basically it sounds like its the starter but i just want to make sure thats the problem, also how hard is it to replace a starter(if thats the problem) because when i looked at it it didnt seem like it was too difficult.

thanks guys in advance

Re: starter???
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:34 PM
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:14 PM
Probably you need to replace the bendix and hope there is no damage on the big gear, flywheel?should have checked it as soon as the grinding noise started, good luck.
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:44 PM
its an auto so no need to check the flywheel, clutch etc.. im almost positive its the starter but i read in another thread that it might be the ignition, im just not completely sure right now. i dont want to waste money on a starter if that isnt the problem.
Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:39 PM
It's either your starter pinion gear or your driveplate. One or the other is worn, maybe both. Either way, that was the problem, at least at first. If I hear ya right though, it's not doing anything at all now? If you turn the key do you hear the solenoid fire, (a click), or nothing at all?
Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:13 AM
as of right now when i turn the key it does nothing, no sounds at all. stereo and everything else still work properly.
Thursday, September 27, 2007 11:28 AM
any other opinions?
Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:19 PM
yeah..
you dinkered around with the wires?

well first of all.. check the shifter linkage to the tranny.. make sure everything is tight.. sometimes they vibrate loose.. and when you start your car again thinking its in "park" it wont turn over... if they are loose.. be sure to use some loc-tite on the bolts..

Also Check your Wires from your starter.. there is a little 18-20 guage wire that is supposed to go to a ground.. if that has come loose you wont be able to turn over.. hit it with pb blaster.. undo the grounds.. clean.. appy deox and retighten...

if those didnt work (do those first!) also you can do what all of your oldtimer mechanics will do.. hit your starter soloniod with a hammer..(they are tough, give it some lovin") and sometimes that brings the starter back to life... and if that happens while its still running... go to a parts store and get a new starter..

when you pull the starter.. inspect your flywheel for missing teeth.. they should be fine.. but better safe than sorry

"Z24 Dustbunny"
Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:39 PM
^thanks for the reply, ill do those things tomorrow morning and give you all an update.
Sunday, September 30, 2007 12:38 AM
i have a 5 speed if the starter is bad will the everything in the car turn while trying to start it but not fire up?? i checked all my teeth and they all look fine i had that problem with the grinding and changed starters but still wont turn over and wasnt sure if it might be the starter or one of the connections all i know is when i turn the key i hear every thing in the motor turning but it doesnt seem to be getting fire wasnt sure if it could still be the starter?

Twizted Deceptionz NationWide Car & Truck Club
Friday, October 05, 2007 7:25 AM
Have you checked the starter for any cracks in the casing? I had the same problem on mine when the starter casing ripped apart. Don't ask me how that happend...lol.

Basically, when the starter would turn, it'd pull away from the flywheel and you'd get that grinding noise. Have you tried running power directly to the starter and seeing it it spins?

Friday, October 05, 2007 7:38 PM
yeah, a buddy of mine looked under the hood today while i cranked it over and he said its def the starter. he had the same issue with his pontiac bonnaville so at least i know what it is now. oh yeah i was able to start the car again today while i was checking it out. its weird that i can start the car once a week but if i shut it off and try to restart it it wont budge. im ordering a starter this weekend and as soon as i install it ill give you guys an update.

thanks again for the help.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search