throw out bearing - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
throw out bearing
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 6:16 AM
OK so here we go. It looks like my throw out bearing is toast. It was causing my whole car to shake. I only drove it about a total of 4 miles (just so that I could get it to my drive way) I babied it the whole way home. Is it possible that it took out my tranny with it? It is a 1997 with the 2.2 5 spd 124,000 miles. Should I be worried about my transmission right now? or should I just throw a new clutch kit on it? is there an easy way to tell if it damaged the trans? The 4 miles that I drove it when it was in gear it was not trying to jump out or anything. IDK I am not a good mechanic I can just fix things if they are broke lol. what do you think?

Re: throw out bearing
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:51 AM
Unless the clutch disk was skipping across the flywheel, your car should not "shake" because of a blown slave cylinder.

Either way, a slave cylinder will not destroy the transmission. The worst that would happen is that it would leak all over the clutch disk, then end up glazing the flywheel. Depending on the condition of the flywheel you might need a new one, or might be able to get away with just having it resurfaced (it would have to be REALLY bad to need a new one, or it would have to have been resurfaced MANY times).

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Re: throw out bearing
Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:22 PM
Usually a throwout bearing wouldn't cause any shaking when the clutch is engaged. Typically they would make lots of noise when you had your foot on the clutch, or make it hard to get into gear or shift if they are seizing up, since they won't then allow a proper release. When the clutch is engaged, the bearing shouldn't have any impact on its operation.
If it IS the problem, I wouldn't expect it to have damaged the transmission. I would put a full clutch kit in. You'll be able to inspect everything when it's apart anyway, so you'll know before you put it back together. As mentioned above, I would also recommend resurfacing the flywheel at the time, unless it looks Perfect.
John
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search