Idea Of Transmission Fix Price - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Idea Of Transmission Fix Price
Friday, March 28, 2008 12:56 PM
Hi guys:

I'm a recent member - just bought a 99 Sunfire GT 5-Speed Vert (85k on it) a few weeks ago and just recently had a problem which has been described on other forums as a possible shift cable break. I was driving along on a freeway when traffic started up and I tried to downshift into 2nd it wouldnt let me - was stuck in 3rd and the shifter was loose between 3-4 and would not go side to side or get out of third gear - I pulled over, called AAA, and they towed me to a garage that they recommended near my house. Reading these forums told me that it might be as simple as a shift cable break - so I told that to the guy and he said he'd look into it. First call was: about $200 to open it up can check the shift cables. I said OK. Second call a few minutes ago: shift cables look fine - transmission needs to be opened up - $2600 and fixed, and while its open replace clutch for another $500. So top end $3100 to repair.

My question to you guys is: am I getting ripped off? Is that a reasonable price to pay. I'm hesitating cause thats nearly as much as I've paid for the car already. What do you guys think - am I getting ripped off? Just wanted to get a read from you guys....

Re: Idea Of Transmission Fix Price
Friday, March 28, 2008 5:35 PM
THEY CHARGED 200 BUCKS TO CHECK THE SHIFTER CABLES! RUN AWAY FROM THEM! It actually does sound like a shifter cable. That is way too much to be paying for a fix, you could get a new one installed for less! To check the shifter cables on the transmission, you dont need to open anything up except the hood. They are located right under the break master cylinder, an obviously under the shifter assymbly. It would only take maybe 30 seconds Thats including the time it takes to open the door to pop the hood, and close the hood again when you're done. In the car however, it may take 10-15 minutes to remove the center console to have a look. They charged you 200 bucks for 20 minuteds work max! If you can get it into any other gear besides 2nd it may be the transmission. My advice is to get it brought to your house, and have a look for yourself. If you need any help with checking just ask.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search