Duracool A/C recharge kit - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Duracool A/C recharge kit
Friday, April 11, 2008 2:22 PM
Saw this beast at Walmart today... it's a DIY a/c recharging kit... comes with two cans of R-12a (this is different than R-12.. the bad stuff...) which is apparently compatible with R-134a. Says to evacuate the existing refrigerant, which I did already (oops.. we won't get into 'how" though...). Then use the kit to test for leaks, lube, etc..

Anyone seen/used this kit before? According to the Duracool website (www.duracool.com) it's nothing new... performs better than R-134a cooling-wise and longer.... worth the $100 for the kit, I figure....

...j

Re: Duracool A/C recharge kit
Friday, April 11, 2008 6:21 PM
yea um r-12a isnt really compatible with R134-a. it may say it is but i wouldnt trust it. If ya want man propane works better than R-134A but would you use it? just keep R-134a in there, the seals would all need to be replaced and maybe evaporator, condenser to work with a differant refrigerant
Friday, April 11, 2008 6:50 PM
Awesome I am going to get a propane tank right now.

(Hank Hill voice)

Propane and propane accesories now for the car.
Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:58 PM
I did the change out on my old Bonneville, stuff worked fine. I don't think I paid anywhere near $100.00 dollars tho.

-Chris

Sunday, April 13, 2008 4:49 PM
I've heard of people in Mexico using propane to recharge the A/C... not something I'm going to do though

For a DIY kit... I'd put out the $100.. comes with two cans, enough to do two cars.. plus all the leak detection stuff and all... click on their website if you want more info. It looks pretty straightforward.

I think I'm gonna go for it... it would be more than $100 to get the system charged at a dealership... so...

...j

Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:33 PM
Well I converted my 85 cavs r12 to the 134 evapd the system and changed the fittings and orings at the comp.No problems with it.Now with my 87 maz pu it still has the r12 and bought a product called freeze 12 at carquest and it is completely compatible with R12 .The two cans cost me 18.00 and u do need to have a old set of manifold gauges and the side mount install clamp to do this which freeze 12 makes(carquest has this) and no fittings have to be changed. The pu needs a charge and to do a conversion I am not,being the air is just not super cold,where as the cav had a leak and drained it all out and vac'd down the system and converted.

Monday, April 14, 2008 8:05 AM
hey Lenko, I saw the stuff at Walmart you are talking about I personally don't think its worth it, next time your in the states pick up some there, its like 40$ instead of 100$ for a kit. If you need to convert the R-12 to R-134a its the same kit, but if its just a fill up you can buy it too because it comes with a gauge and all that. You can buy extra freon for cheap too like 2$ a can.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search