Adding slick - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Adding slick
Friday, April 11, 2008 8:42 PM
My 2003 cavalier is approaching 85K miles and I do feel some power loss. Would adding slick at the next oil change help me regain lossed power? And would It have any negative impact on the engine?

Re: Adding slick
Friday, April 11, 2008 8:48 PM
generally if you have substantial powerloss than simply adding a bottle of something isnt going to fix it.

------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:02 PM
If you haven't done it yet, change your fuel filter. That can make a substantial difference. Next would be the air filter if needed, then plugs.
I wouldn't add anything to the oil, if that's what you're referring to. Oil is already quite a complex blend of additives, and putting something else in there isn't likely to do much good. Run a synthetic oil if that makes you feel better, but you won't likely find much of a performance improvement. Any name brand oil of the correct viscosity should be fine, if you change it at the proper intervals.
John

Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:02 AM
Do your usual tune up stuff... filter and what have you.

And put some of this in the oil

It will help recover some lost compression and smooth out cylinder walls and what not.... it's really the only thing that "can" help restore some lost performance due to high milage.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 9:58 AM
if by slick you mean slick 50, then by all means STEER CLEAR of it. one of the main ingredients in slick 50 is teflon... which is a solid. solids have no place in my oil.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, April 12, 2008 3:31 PM
as said before, tune it up, all filters, and plugs, close enough to the 100k mark for those to be worn. adding things to the oil won't do anything, despite what you may hear. don't forget about your trans either, if you are hard on the car, the clutch may be worn to the point of slipping enough to inhibit power, mine is getting like that @70k, not bad though (yet)
Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:15 PM
Weebel wrote:Do your usual tune up stuff... filter and what have you.

And put some of this in the oil

It will help recover some lost compression and smooth out cylinder walls and what not.... it's really the only thing that "can" help restore some lost performance due to high milage.

^^^ Good stuff...

---------------------
If you have never used synthetic, do not start now... it may find some leaks you didnt know you had... higher milage engines have problems switching to synthetic....

the best oil to run at this point is a high mileage Semi-synthetic blend...

----

TFE (AKA Teflon) is not nessicerly bad for the engine... The NHRA uses a product called TX7 in their cars that has TFE in it. ( http://www.polydyn.com/tx7.htm ) .... TFE puts the layer of teflon between engine parts so that nothing can stick or build up on them. It also allows parts to move with reduced friction.

Now Slick 50 is crap... but Teflon isnt.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 5:59 PM
thanks for all the advice I will do all the regular maintenance stuff before adding anything.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search