Car stalls when stopped - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car stalls when stopped
Monday, May 05, 2008 7:50 AM
I have a 2.4l 2002 5 speed and lately it keeps stalling on me. I have had a high idle issue for years now, but now my idle is just going crazy. It jumps from 1200 to 1500 and then drops to 0 randomly when I'm stopped and stalls. Also I'm wondering why when I step on the gas my car just putters and hesitates REALLY bad before accelerating. It does this through all 5 gears too. What do you guys think the problem could be? Thanks.

Re: Car stalls when stopped
Monday, May 05, 2008 8:38 AM
Clean your Idle Air Controller (IAC), and the passage in your throttle body. Its what regulates your engine speed at idle. If its stuck or not working you'll get a constant high or low idle. The second problem could also be related to it.

Run some injector cleaner thru as well just to be safe. But hesitation is usually an air/vacuum problem.

-Chris

Monday, May 05, 2008 10:02 AM
See, if you would have sold it, you wouldn't be having this problem! Joking. If you had a scanner you could probably check the misfire count and on what cylinders. Because to me that could sound like the coils or some other ignition problem. I don't think the idle air control valve would have any major effect over any rpm except idle. But it would be good to clean it and check it anyways.

Monday, May 05, 2008 10:03 AM
I cleaned and replaced the IAC actually, and also the TB. I had it tested and although it closes completely the car still reads it being 5% open. I also had it checked for a vaccuum leak and there isn't one. Is there anything else it could be?

Monday, May 05, 2008 12:10 PM
ICM, coils or injectors then. Do you have any CEL's?

Have you tested your fuel pressure, does it hold after the pump pressurizes?

-Chris

Monday, May 05, 2008 5:42 PM
Nope no CEL or anything. I haven't checked the ICM, coils, or injectors. I'd have to take it to a shop to have them do that. Am I looking at a lot of money here? I just paid 550 a few weeks ago just for brakes and inspection.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 7:37 AM
Ill fix your problem....just give me the car, and BAM n oproblem just like that.

It sounds to me like you could have one of several things going on. It also sounds like you dont have the tools to properly diagnose the problem....so I would recomend taking it somewhere for the diagnostics at least, and yes that can be expensive. I did dig this up on a quick lil interweb search...may give you some things to look at....you might consider trying to look at that TPS if it is reading improperly when the throttle is closed.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/problem_hesitation.htm

but if you want....i would take that off your hands

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 9:11 AM
u might want to check your plugs i had hesitation through gears and it would putter, i have the ecotec though but u might want to check the plugs and see how those look
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search