Dex-cool Coolant corrosive? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dex-cool Coolant corrosive?
Thursday, July 10, 2008 8:54 PM
I was recently told that dex-cool coolant is extreamly corrosive where it creates a greater chance of corroding gaskets (head-gaskets expecialy). I was just wondering if anyone else hird of this and if they switched coolant types. Any advice would be appreciated! 2003 Cavalier 2.2L Ecotec

Re: Dex-cool Coolant corrosive?
Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:01 PM
No as long as you change you coolant in the recommended time it is not harmful. Over time all coolant will become acidy and can cause problems if you don't change them in the recommended maintenance I have 150,000 on my car and no problems with the coolant.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:03 PM
Friday, July 11, 2008 2:06 AM
That amsoil stuff looks interesting. How long have you been running it?

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:45 AM
quite a while actually in all my vehicles. no problems whatsoever

Friday, July 11, 2008 10:55 PM
Dexcool = the devil

there is a reason theres a class action suit on it...

mostly stupidity...but its not really all that great...and will not protect 5 years like its supposed to.

3100 LIM gaskets anyone?

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Friday, July 11, 2008 11:40 PM
^^ Main reason I'm goin w/ Amsoil over Dexcool in the 3400 (22k miles on the motor)

Saturday, July 12, 2008 2:24 AM
Alex Richards wrote:Dexcool = the devil

mostly stupidity...but its not really all that great...and will not protect 5 years like its supposed to.

3100 LIM gaskets anyone?

They do the exact same thing with the green stuff. Its not teh Dexcool. It was a design flaw in the gasket.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 5:48 PM
mitdr774 wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:Dexcool = the devil

3100 LIM gaskets anyone?

They do the exact same thing with the green stuff. Its not teh Dexcool. It was a design flaw in the gasket.

Yes and no, The class action suit mentioned the 3100 gaskets and it was found that the majority of the problems despite the gaskets also having a flaw were exacerbated by the use of dexcool and or lack of maintenance of dex cool (which should be changed every 2.5 yrs not 5 and checked for Ph and protection level just as often as any other coolant)

Saturday, July 12, 2008 8:51 PM
I do not recall seeing any actual factualy based test that proved Dex-cool was the main culprit in the gasket failure. If Dex-cool is so nasty and corrosive why does my dads 96 K1500 (4.3L) still have its origional gaskets in it, the coolant was only in there for something like 10 years before it was changed while flushing out the heater core? Its not the Dex-cool that is the issue, but it is easier to just say it was and settle the lawsuit, probably cheaper as well.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:20 PM
If, (and that's a big if), everything works as intended, it's OK. But if you get a leak and air gets in the system for an extended length of time, it can "fuzz up" on you. Two of the four vehichles I own have been switched to the green stuff and I'll do the other two later on this summer.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 8:47 PM
mitdr774 wrote:I do not recall seeing any actual factualy based test that proved Dex-cool was the main culprit in the gasket failure. If Dex-cool is so nasty and corrosive why does my dads 96 K1500 (4.3L) still have its origional gaskets in it, the coolant was only in there for something like 10 years before it was changed while flushing out the heater core? Its not the Dex-cool that is the issue, but it is easier to just say it was and settle the lawsuit, probably cheaper as well.

Thats why I stated the problem was simply exacerbated by the use of dexcool, primarily due to a leak already there causing more problems then just coolant spots on the driveway.

I dont know the complete ins and outs of the suit but what I do know is from my service manager who stays up on this sort of thing in the industry. So my understanding could be wrong...nevertheless it was pointed fingers at...potentially causing the settlement you mentioned in the case of the LIM gasket leaking...

Definatly was not a main factor howeevr. I completely agree, I personally wont be putting dexcool BACK into my motor any time soon..it will be green stuff all the way.

Monday, July 14, 2008 1:56 AM
Alex Richards wrote: I completely agree, I personally wont be putting dexcool BACK into my motor any time soon..it will be green stuff all the way.

x2

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, July 14, 2008 2:39 AM
I disagree and trust Dex-cool to do its job. I have yet to have one Dex-cool related issue to come up on any of the vehicles in my family. As I stated before even with the green stuff the cars that had problems with dex-cool were still leaking.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:20 AM
Fair point mitdr774.

I suppose it has a great deal to do with maintenance as well. As I'm sure 65-70% of us on here check our coolant status much more than the average DD owner.

This brings me to an example of datelines story on "expired tires" or tires that are being sold brand new that have already sat on the shelf more than 4 years. Dry rotting is dry rotting...if you want to buy cheap tires and trust that walmart and sears are out to really sell you a quality set of tires (instead of just selling you a set of cheapies because you are cheap and they want the sale)

Basically preventive maintenance I'm sure makes a huge difference in the life of coolant and its corossiveness. Just like the green red and or pink stuff. Its as simple as that.

Do I trust Dexcool? Sure I ran it in my camaro for over a year and ran it in my cavy for over a year before swapping the motor upon which that coolant still went back in. Upon my first coolant flush its coming out.

Do I trust dexcool for the recommended service interval of 5 years...hell no. Which is why I'll pay significantly less for "regular" coolant and put that in instead, and check it every bit as often as the dexcool.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:41 PM
If dexcool is so bad why do all the eurpean cars run the same type of coolant as dexcool is. You will not find green coolant in any eurpean car from the factory.

I trust dexcool and my car has 149,000 miles on it.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:46 PM
Thnak you for posting this. If Dex-cool is so bad why would it still be used?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:40 AM
Apparently, early 95 J-cars had green coolant. I've never seen one... but the tank part number is different. I wonder what the difference is? And how many of you guys are running the right tank for the green stuff?

I'm fine with Dexcool. I maintain my cars pretty well... the coolant never stays in for more than 2 years anyway... Besides, I can't keep an engine in one that long!

And my tires are all less than 4 years old.... I already knew how to read those date codes

...j

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search