Coolant leak on '97 Z24 - please help! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coolant leak on '97 Z24 - please help!
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:34 PM
Leak was seen seeping out from the metal piece that the upper hose attaches to, between that and the engine. If it helps, it appears that the heater core hoses are also connected to this part. Is that the t-stat housing? Maybe an o-ring blew? I changed out the hoses a few weeks ago when one sprung a leak. Maybe I accidentally loosened something while putting the new hoses back one?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Coolant leak on '97 Z24 - please help!
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:44 PM
Edit -

This appears to be the part I'm referring to, thanks to Autozone.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:02 PM
2nd edit - according to a Pep Boys head test, it has a blown head gasket. They think it's leaking through the valve cover.

Great.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:45 PM
Thats the water neck or water outlet and in the 2.4 there are two o rings, one that seals properly the whole piece to the engine block and another for the metal tubing that attaches in one of the ports, I would replace the main o ring as first step and see from there.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:03 PM
It is almost certainly the thermostat neck shown. If it was a head gasket, water would not be leaking into the valve covers! Usually, a head gasket will cause the coolant return tank to overflow because it is pumping hot gases into the water. If water is leaking into the oil, then the oil will be turning milky.
Remember when you change the thermostat neck to also put a new O-ring on the small steel pipe going into the part.
Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:28 AM
mine went on my 97 earlier this summer. it had actually cracked at the part that inserts into the block. picked up a new one, new gasket, and lots of red hi-temp rtv to make a good seal.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @
innovativetuning@rogers.com

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:45 PM
The thermostat is not located there on a 2.4

Those are notorious for leaking... I would pull it out, replace the rubber O-ring & load the whole thing up w/ some sealant.

Friday, August 15, 2008 11:10 PM
Yes I know the thermostat isn't there but it looks like it is a thermostat housing. Everyone would wonder what a Flange to hose barb fitting would be!
Since we are talking of this part, it is poorly designed for plastic. Looks like someone just molded a metal part design out of plastic. I should know, I mold plastic parts.
Also the very small O-ring is hard to get and most people probably do not replace them or even know they are there. Result another leak.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search