Axle nut size - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Axle nut size
Sunday, September 28, 2008 4:35 PM
1997 Cavalier

Does anyone know the size of the axle nut? I lost the majority of my tools in March and I can't afford to replace them all. So I'm going to buy the specific sockets I need to replace my hub assembly.

Re: Axle nut size
Sunday, September 28, 2008 4:51 PM
try searching it, I remember a post on here not too long ago about it, I think the size was 29mm...

98z24, lowered 2", aem intake, cat-back striaght pipes!, cop ligths in the front and rear, 18" liquid metal's, primer black, tint, full audio and video.
Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:05 PM
You will need a 3/8" hex key or hex key socket to remove the brake caliper/rotor assembly, then you will need a 32mm or 1 1/4" socket to take off the axle nut. The bolts that mount the hub to the spindle are either a 13 or 15 mm. then just hammer the old hub off and replace..

------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:40 PM
bravo! 32mm it is!!! I was pretty sure that wasnt the correct answer, but I was too lazy to search and find out for him...

98z24, lowered 2", aem intake, cat-back striaght pipes!, cop ligths in the front and rear, 18" liquid metal's, primer black, tint, full audio and video.
Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:00 PM
i hate bust both your bubbles in a sort of way. First off the axle nut isn't 32mm it is 30mm. The bolts that hold the hub on aren't 13mm or 15mm they are torx no. 55 bolts.

Also be sure to torque the bolts for the hubs to spec or you will toast the new hub/bearing

Install hub and bearing bolts and tighten to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
Install the axle nut and tighten it to 185 ft. lbs. (260 Nm).
Monday, September 29, 2008 6:40 AM
Now I'm just confused...

I was planning on the hub bolts being T55 and of course, a caliper bolt is 3/8" hex.

I was going to buy a 29mm socket because I measured (with a micrometer) the new axle nut that came with my hub...

But then I searched on google to make sure and got all sorts of sizes.
Monday, September 29, 2008 7:20 AM
Alright jim i didn't want you to go buy something because of wrong info. I hasve read on here and some other places of peoples being 29mm and some being 30mm. But in all honesty i would just buy a 30mm and be done with it because if you were to buy a 29mm the nut you have stock might be 30mm in which you wouldn't be able to get the stock nut off because the 29mm would be to small. If you were to buy a 30mm it would take off and put on the 29mm with no problem. It might be a lil loose but i wouldn't worry to much. I used a 30mm on my new nuts and it was to tight either but worked fine.

O and if you go in to a parts store and ask or look for a gm axle nut socket it will be 30mm also.
Monday, September 29, 2008 7:48 AM
Thanks for your help BP. I'll buy a 29mm and a 30mm, that's no problem.
Monday, September 29, 2008 7:49 AM
Can't the axle nut be re-used? If so I'll just re use it and not worry about stripping the new one with too big of a socket.
Monday, September 29, 2008 2:14 PM
End the confusion, Its 30mm deep impact 1/2 inch drive.
Monday, September 29, 2008 7:23 PM
Ooops.. Sorry for the confusion!

Monday, September 29, 2008 7:23 PM
I was thinking N body lol

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:05 PM
hey rich there buddy there wasn't really any confusion some of the nuts that come with aftermarket hubs are 29mm for some reason. But 30mm is the stock nut size. Also i don't see why you can't reuse them. I've had mine on and off probably 5 times and no problems. I guess it would be which ever one you feel like using
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search