plz help diagnose tranny probs - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
plz help diagnose tranny probs
Sunday, September 28, 2008 4:48 PM
car is a 98 sunfire gt 2.4 with a 5 speed .when in neutral and u rev the car the speedometer needle comes up when in gear speedometer needle still comes up when u give it some fuel(car doesnt move) and "rattling" noise comes from the tranny tall the while the car doesnt move or even try to. friend of mine suggested the clutch or preasure plate came apart, any ideas b4 i pull it apart(wont have the time for a couple days) thxs in advance

Re: plz help diagnose tranny probs
Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:28 PM
i have seen problems with the speedo moving while reving. Both of mine do it 99 and 00 sunfire. I find it normal to be honest. But with your noise it could also be your tranny since the input shaft would be spining while not in gear. If it is low on fluid or has been best bets are that it's the tranny.

Does the rattling quit if you push in the clutch and rev it? If so more then likely it's the thow out bearing. Could also be the tranny since the shaft would quit spinning. now the clutch disk i have seen come apart but when it does it's usually been slipping for awhile and wore the rivets off causing it to fly apart. The pressure plate i find hard to believe unless your running boost or something around that area. But usually before something like that would happen the clutch would slip. I take bets on the tranny it's self or the thowout bearing.
Monday, September 29, 2008 2:44 AM
the rattling does quit if u push the clutch in and im not sure about slppage b4 it stopped moving as i bought the car this way
Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:16 PM
Just realised you said it didn't move. How many miles are on the car? Sounds like you have the well known isuzu tranny failure because if a clutch even if slipped should last a good while. Unless the person didn't know how to drive. Will it move in any other gear? Usually if it goes in gear if i am correct and doesn't move is a messed up shift fork or possibly bad synchro. The only real way to tell is pull the tranny and check the clutch out then check the tranny
Wednesday, October 01, 2008 2:11 PM
it moves in no gears at all, but from the way it feels on the shifter i believe its going into gear because the same sound comes from all gears i try its not like a grinding gear noise but kinda like a scraping /rattling noise hard to explain as for the person i bought it from hard to say how long it was bad for he was def a wobble head
Wednesday, October 01, 2008 4:49 PM
Kevin you mentioned something about the speedo needle moving up, and this is just a total aside on my part but how come it is on most cars if the speedo needle is up on the scale a ways and the car is stopped and you put it in reverse and back up the needle drops back down to 0 yet on our cars instead of dropping back down the needle goes even higher. Is it just the way our clusters are designed or what.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search