L/F Wheel Bearing out... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
L/F Wheel Bearing out...
Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:57 AM
Is DIY a possibility? i have no bearing press, I have no special tolls handy (all in my shop in TX, im in upstate NY), just the standard sockets and wrenches etc...

If so has anyone done it and can point me in the right direction? i searched but i really cant make heads or tails of it.

If not a DIY, what parts will i need? The bearing is literally Growling down the hwy. I cant hear the radio, it wont go up loud enough to drown out the noise...

thx.

2006 Honda Civic EX Sedan AT-Galaxy Grey Metallic Pearl, 37,000 miles,Loaded with everything except Leather and Nav, Tint-5% rear, 20% front, Calipers painted Subaru WR Blue, Ipod Integration, XenonDepot 4300K HID Conversion kit, Debadged, Optima Red-Top, No performance mods because its an auto, and its under warranty.

Re: L/F Wheel Bearing out...
Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:02 PM
take the wheel off, take the axle nut off and push it loose from the hub, take off the caliper and then the rotor and its 4 torx bolts holing the entire hub/bearing assembly (one piece, replaced as a whole) unbolt it and swap it. Its liek a 1/2 hour job extremely simple.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:03 PM
to add to this I would recomend getting a replacement form GM, I've seen alot of people have very very bad luck with aftermarket bearings only lasting a few months at a time.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 3:42 PM
Darkstars wrote:to add to this I would recomend getting a replacement form GM, I've seen alot of people have very very bad luck with aftermarket bearings only lasting a few months at a time.

yes, it is very simple as the bearing is replaces as a whole unit, no press required. as for aftermarket bearings, ive never had a problem, but ive never put an autozone part in my car, just the ones that come into the shop. very easy though.

Did I mention I drive a 2000 Lumina now?-----wigm-tuners.org member
Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:19 PM
good great, fantastic news! thanks again JBO. You guys are lifesavers. this is prob #2 in 2 months of ownership i have had to fix out of necessity.

But being that im just shy of 150,000 miles, ill count it as "it has to break sometime".

2006 Honda Civic EX Sedan AT-Galaxy Grey Metallic Pearl, 37,000 miles,Loaded with everything except Leather and Nav, Tint-5% rear, 20% front, Calipers painted Subaru WR Blue, Ipod Integration, XenonDepot 4300K HID Conversion kit, Debadged, Optima Red-Top, No performance mods because its an auto, and its under warranty.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 8:41 PM
I just finished doing my front wheel bearings on my 01 cavalier, Pretty simple fix,

Just make sure u got this items:

30mm deep impact axle socket.

Descent short & deep sockets set.

Gonna need pipe or breaker bar break the strut nuts, & axle nut. If possible use impact gun Or electric impact gun.

Also u are gonna need some High temp bearing grease as well.

Make sure you add the bearing seal that comes with the wheel bearing kit.

Good Luck.
Sunday, November 30, 2008 10:01 PM
easy unless the rotor is rusted on severely

Hellraiser and Lil Lightning
Monday, December 01, 2008 3:43 AM
rich weeks wrote:I just finished doing my front wheel bearings on my 01 cavalier, Pretty simple fix,

Just make sure u got this items:

30mm deep impact axle socket.

Descent short & deep sockets set.

Gonna need pipe or breaker bar break the strut nuts, & axle nut. If possible use impact gun Or electric impact gun.

Also u are gonna need some High temp bearing grease as well.

Make sure you add the bearing seal that comes with the wheel bearing kit.

Good Luck.

will this be the same as mine? mine is a 1996...

Monday, December 01, 2008 9:38 AM
everything is the same from 95-05

Monday, December 01, 2008 3:34 PM
Quote:

Hellraiser319 : easy unless the rotor is rusted on severely

Its pretty easy to get a stuck front rotor off, Just get a piece of wood (2x4) place it on the bottom side of the rotor strike it hard with 30oz hammer, hit it a few times it should pops right off. The wood acts like a strike barrier to allow enough power force to pop the rotor off.
Monday, December 01, 2008 5:32 PM
A miltary sized pulley puller also works

I love being a soldier.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:25 PM
How much did your wheel bearing cost? I curbbed my brand new 250$ wheel and popped my 130$ tire lmao. ok it was funny at the time but I am pretty sure it knocked the wheel bearing to S***.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:00 AM
Well I bought cheapo ones I paided $99 each one, Also u might want inspect other parts on youre front end if u curbed, lower control arm wheel alignment, Could have a bent outter tie rod as well.
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 8:58 AM
yea I fortunetly got hit while i was parked hanging out with my friends which messed up my rear wheel. So their insurance paid to have my car re-aligned which it needed it badly. LOL. I had also purchased a road hazard deal so everything was like 25% of the price i paid for it. And im not for sure but if I had bent a tie rod, wouldnt that create a clicking noise when im turning? All my car is doing is making a vibration around 40+ mph. It feels and seems like a bearing issue. I am gonna have a coworker look at it soon though.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 4:36 PM
a vibrating sound most likely sounds like an out of balance wheel to me aka your bent wheel. i would have your tires balanced first. i beileve its like 5 bucks per wheel and tire to get balanced at most places.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:28 PM
Wojo wrote:a vibrating sound most likely sounds like an out of balance wheel to me aka your bent wheel. i would have your tires balanced first. i beileve its like 5 bucks per wheel and tire to get balanced at most places.
No def not, tires are BRAND new, and the noise was there with old tires.

its only on that side and there is no vibration, just a drone..solid noise from 35mph or so that gets louder with more speed. make a left hand turn, noise goes away, make a right hand turn, it gets worse.

the bearing set is $48.95 at my local Saturn dealer (mother in law is the accounts/finance manager at Saturn of Watertown, NY. as we all know, the Saturn coupe from 95-05 was same as cavalier

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:43 PM
uhhhh. the saturn was NOT the same as the cavalier but the price seems the same as i have paid. and it does sound like a wheel bearing. so. yeah. you may want to find the correct part.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 10:16 PM
Wojo wrote:a vibrating sound most likely sounds like an out of balance wheel to me aka your bent wheel. i would have your tires balanced first. i beileve its like 5 bucks per wheel and tire to get balanced at most places.

well when they did the wheel they balanced and realigned everything so idk....

Monday, December 08, 2008 3:07 AM
really? i was under the impression that the saturn coupes and 4 door sedans (small) were crossplatformed from the cavalier/sunfire. I have had the 2 parked side by side (both coupes) and everything was pretty similar (INCLUDING) the engine. LOL.

Monday, December 08, 2008 4:59 PM
theres nothingh in common between a saturn and a jbody ... (minus the ecotec jbodies. ) two totaly different chasis.

and no saturns were ever made with a 5x100 lug hub assembly. so please dont waste your money on tryna fit a saturn hub on cavi ..

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 3:02 AM
ah, ok.

Tuesday, December 09, 2008 3:59 AM
Joshua Morrison wrote:
Wojo wrote:. make a left hand turn, noise goes away, make a right hand turn, it gets worse.

that right there verifys its a wheel bearing, it mean your left bearing has gone bad, just as when your driving to the right your body seems to go left, well when you turn right your putting a load on the left side and turning left takes the load off that side, so it would seem that your left wheel bearing has failed.
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 4:01 AM
Joshua Morrison wrote:make a left hand turn, noise goes away, make a right hand turn, it gets worse.
Joshua Morrison wrote:

that right there verifys its a wheel bearing, it mean your left bearing has gone bad, just as when your driving to the right your body seems to go left, well when you turn right your putting a load on the left side and turning left takes the load off that side, so it would seem that your left wheel bearing has failed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search