Need your advice - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need your advice
Friday, December 19, 2008 2:47 AM
So here is the situation. My car... 98 2.2 LN2 117,XXX miles on it. I will be driving to Arizona, from Florida, in March for school, and I want to know what the general consensus will be if I should replace my timing chain, tensioner and sprockets before I go. I will be at my parents house so I will have a full garage, air tools, help and free time.

I know some people say only replace it when it breaks, which I think is a stupid philosophy. I want to do it for preventative maintenance. I know you guys know more about these motors than I do, so that is why I am asking. I do not want to be driving down the road a thousand miles away and have it break. Thanks for the replies in advance.

What's funny to me is people bragging about beating Cavaliers in street races.

Re: Need your advice
Friday, December 19, 2008 8:07 AM
if your going to be doing that kind of driving i'd say replace it before you go, better to be safe than sorry. Hey when you come to arizona look me up you can do my timing chain too, only prob is yours is the older 2.2 mines an ecotec. But i have 117k on mine as well.
Friday, December 19, 2008 10:45 AM
It would also give you a great opportunity to go over all your engine components. Maybe you'll discover something during the swap you would have missed otherwise. At that milage hoses should be carefully examined.
Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:45 AM
Thanks for the responses. I figured that you would be in agreement about it. When I do the job I will take pictures along the way for others.

What's funny to me is people bragging about beating Cavaliers in street races.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search