1999 2.4 tc thermostat housing cracked... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1999 2.4 tc thermostat housing cracked...
Friday, February 13, 2009 4:09 PM
Ok, so fiances car springs a big coolant leak today...has been a small, almost untraceable, leak for last few months. Mechanic we take it to tracks it to thermostat housing, cracked. Engine is a 2.4tc (in a 99 malibu). Yeah its not in a J, but almost identical engine.

So the question is...anyone know about how many hours labor im looking at to replace this thing? Any idea how much the part itself is?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Re: 1999 2.4 tc thermostat housing cracked...
Friday, February 13, 2009 4:14 PM
Wow, what a pain in the ass place on our motors to have a crack. Iim not sure how much a new one is. Your probably looking around 4-6 hours of labor(I know it shouldnt take that long but when it comes to shops they will charge out the ass) You'd save ALOT of money doing it yourself.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, February 13, 2009 5:26 PM
Definitely Save money doing it yourself... Time consuming.

& Sorry Whitecavy, I couldn't help to notice your Cavy... Looks Badass, The Black/white! Good work!
Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:56 AM
Is it actually the thermostat housing or is it the plastic thing on the head? Most shops dont know the thermostat is on the back side of the engine by the water pump.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:41 AM
Its the plastic thing. Also all the hoses (heater, etc) on the back of the motor are shot. Car has a lot of oil leaks and the hoses are covered n getting spongy. So im looking at the plastic deal, a couple hoses...also changing the thermostat and flushing the cooling system. The heater hose assembly is the largest cost, aside from labor...its $94.xx, and the closest one available is in Tampa, around an hour away.

Join verbalwarfare.com

Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:00 AM
FireonFire thanks man

Ronin, ok since its the plastic thing on the side of the head, Definately try to do it yourself. Its very easy. Just drain the coolant and take off the two 10mm nuts and it comes off. I got mine from GM and it was under 25 bucks if I remember correctlly, but you will also need an O-ring to go inside that. Its like 1.99 from autozone or grab it from GM. But that is the most important thing and you will have leaks if you don't put that O-ring back in there. Make sure you lube it up when installing, you don't want to tear it up installing it.

The heater hoses are cake. You don't have to be maintence savy to do these things on the 2.4, just have a little patience.

If you do decide to do this yourself, post back here if you need any help.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Saturday, February 14, 2009 11:38 AM
It does sound like things I could do, but I just dont have the time. I would have to lose 2 days of work,which pretty much evens out the labor cost. One of the parts in in Tampa, a little over an hour from me, so Id lose 1/2 day just to get that one part, probably the other 1/2 getting the others together, second day to actually put it all on.

Im just really glad it wasnt the water pump, the labor charge (6 hours@ $75/hr) would have been as much as the parts and labor for whats getting done. I forget the whole list but its the housing, thermostat, a few hoses, system flush, plus all related hardware.

Thanks for the input guys.

Join verbalwarfare.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search