rear 'clunking' - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rear 'clunking'
Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:44 PM
Ok, so in the past little while, when im driving slow enough where theres very little noise, if i hit a bump or turn sharply theres a very audible clunking in the rear section of my car. I dont know exactly where its coming from but it sounds like its near the wheel, possibly in the suspension. anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Re: rear 'clunking'
Thursday, March 19, 2009 5:39 PM
Possibly the upper strut mounts...I had the same problem in my front end. Usually what happens is the bearing in the upper mount (where the rod slides up through and receives the washer and nut assembly) wears out and gives the rod room to wiggle. The noise you are hearing is that rod shifting back and forth when you hit bumps. Fortunately I think with a '98 you don't have to replace the whole upper mount, just swap in a new bearing (I think Advance Auto Parts and Pep Boys has them for around $30).

Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:48 PM
I had this same noise on my '00 Z, it ended up being that one of my rubber exhaust hangers was broken right near the muffler. Every time i went over a small bump at slow speeds I could hear it knock. Try moving your muffler a little bit with your hand to see if it hits anything, if so that could be your noise. Good luck!

Friday, March 20, 2009 12:05 PM
ya my muffler is rock solid, it wont move, so im assuming its the strut mounts, ill have to look into those bearings, how hard is it to swap those out?
Friday, March 20, 2009 1:25 PM
There isn't a bearing in the rear mounts and I'd say it's most likely your strut. Is there any oil leaking out of the strut?

2.2 97 Cavalier......the "Crapalier"
Friday, March 20, 2009 3:55 PM
i have clunking in my rear too...happened a little after my front mounts went...lol, still have yet to do anything about it.
Saturday, March 21, 2009 1:02 PM
Most likely the strut mount... or the strut itself. Although it could also be your spring. Sometimes if coil springs arnt seated correctly, they will want to rotate a little and cause that sound.

Both my DD and my sunfire do that.... it's the strut mount on my sunfire, and my DD does it because the strut is welded together LOL

Friday, March 27, 2009 5:52 PM
is it worse when you reverse the car? if so it could actually be your rear trailing arm... a buddy a mine had a grand prix (might be a totally different setup, never really took notice to his. ) and that was what happened to him... end up breaking goin down the highway. or as everyone else has said it might just be your strut or strut mount as they are both a common thing to go in the j-body. anyway good luck
Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:52 PM
yea i had the same thing... sounds like u got loose lumber bouncing around in ur trunk? if so its the strut mount. the j-bodies are bad for it. i had heard a rumor that the mount has been been recalled so check with ur dealership. if not it was like $50 and not hard to change.
Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:00 PM
no its aftermarket struts, i dont know exactly what they are, cuz when i got the lowering kit and struts installed i was oblivious to cars, i paid almost 700 bucks for kal tire to install it lol, could there be bearings involved with aftermarket parts?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search