RPM's Bouncing When Cruising - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RPM's Bouncing When Cruising
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:19 AM
I need your help guys. I drive a 2002 Cavalier, with an automatic transmission (2200 SFI). Recently, when cruising at about 100 km/h, the engine will rev from 2200 to about 2700 for no reason at all. It feels like the car is surging.

This only happens when the car is running when warm. No stalls when the car is cold, or when idling...

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? I've taken it to a shop, and they said they need a code to figure out what might be wrong, but my car isn't throwing any codes..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: RPM's Bouncing When Cruising
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:56 PM
Overdrive or torque converter shifting in and out?
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:31 PM
TPS goin wonky?

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:55 PM
That's what I was thinking too.. by torque converter you mean the TCC solenoid? The reason I am wondering about this is because as Black mentioned above, I had the TPS replace back in June... I've read that you could pull the TCC solenoid, will that result in a CEL if I drive with it pulled? Somewhere online a guy mentioned that pulling this will also make your transmission run hot (not sure if that is an actual side effect)..
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:28 PM
Sounds like the TCC solenoid to me also. You can unplug it to see if the surging stops. It is a 4 prong square plug o the transmission and is usually white in color. It will cause the lockup clutch to stop functioning obviously. It will make a little more heat in the transmission due to the fluid slippage in the converter, but it won't hurt anything for test purposes.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search