Coolant Leak on a 2002 Cavalier - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coolant Leak on a 2002 Cavalier
Friday, January 15, 2010 3:52 PM
Looking for advice to trouble shoot a coolant leak on my OHV 2200. I have searched but with little luck. The leak is on the passengers side under the serpentine belt area. I am assuming it is the water pump itself. The car only has 70000 kilometers on it. Are there any hoses I should check before going ahead and replacing the pump? Is the pump a PITA to replace? I know I need to take off the serpentine belt to do this repair but what else is invloved? Thanks for any advice.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/mykeln/mysig.jpg

Re: Coolant Leak on a 2002 Cavalier
Friday, January 15, 2010 4:07 PM
First thing to do is fill the coolant reservoir, then tighten the cap securely. That may be all of your problem.
Friday, January 15, 2010 4:14 PM
Sound like what happened to me, The bottom of the water pump was leaking, The paper gasket just wornout. I just replaced the water pump anyways I had 160,000 kms on it. Fixed it no coolant leaks. Just jack up the front end on jack stands. start the car up, See if it leaking from there, Should be easy view. Ive got the same 2200 motor. Replace the water pump is easy.

Good Luck.
Friday, January 15, 2010 4:46 PM
Take the alternator off and the water pump is a snap to get off. Mine failed on the way to class in my old 96 cav(LN2). I changed it in the parking lot after class. Dont bother with the paper gasket that comes with it, it leaks. I couldnt even refill the system without it leaking, so i had to redo it with RTV.

219whp - I <3 whine

Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:13 PM
Tinkles wrote:Take the alternator off and the water pump is a snap to get off. Mine failed on the way to class in my old 96 cav(LN2). I changed it in the parking lot after class. Dont bother with the paper gasket that comes with it, it leaks. I couldnt even refill the system without it leaking, so i had to redo it with RTV. Thanks Tinkles for the advice on the RTV. Off to the hand wash tomorrow and rinse out the engine bay of all the spilled coolant then I can be sure the leak is gone.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/mykeln/mysig.jpg
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search