Heat shield over exhaust necessary.. or can i take it off? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Heat shield over exhaust necessary.. or can i take it off?
Wednesday, March 24, 2010 4:59 PM
I have an 02 Pontiac sunfire and i just put on an 2.5" exhaust. And after i put it on; when i start the car and it idles i hear a rattling... I determined it was the heat shield hitting the exhaust. The one by the gas tank. I was going to remove it but was wondering if that would effect anything. So i did not. If any one knows or can give me a solution to stop this besides getting a new exhaust please inform me.

Re: Heat shield over exhaust necessary.. or can i take it off?
Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:12 PM
Heres the thing...is the shield loose and hitting the exhaust, or is the exhaust too close to the shield? If its loose fix it, if the exhaust is too close, try adjusting it...if you cant your choices are live with it or get a new one.

Also...check to make sure its not actually the exhaust hitting the rear axle...this is a big problem in Js. I had a 2 1/2 exhaust system once that I thought was hitting a heat shield...but it only did it when I was sitting in the car. Finally had my gf sit in the car while I checked the noise...it was from the exhaust hitting the rear axle when the drivers weight was in the car.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:19 PM
you can take it off
Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:27 PM
SO_hardcore wrote:you can take it off

Yeah because they put it there to waste money.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:00 PM
Rob wrote:

Duh, it couldn't possibly be to keep a hundreds of degrees hot pipe off a tank full of gas.
Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:41 AM
Ronin J wrote:
Also...check to make sure its not actually the exhaust hitting the rear axle...this is a big problem in Js. I had a 2 1/2 exhaust system once that I thought was hitting a heat shield...but it only did it when I was sitting in the car. Finally had my gf sit in the car while I checked the noise...it was from the exhaust hitting the rear axle when the drivers weight was in the car.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:56 PM
ok ya it does it the axel thing when i have like for ppl in the car due to i have my rear gas shocks turned way up. But it does it when im out of the car also, so ill play around with it some more and see what i can figure out. Thanx tho
Friday, March 26, 2010 6:19 AM
Richard K wrote:
Rob wrote:

Duh, it couldn't possibly be to keep a hundreds of degrees hot pipe off a tank full of gas.

Sure, if your the kind person that thinks a 1/16" of steel is really keeping much of that heat away from the tank... Or dont understand that its the fuel vapor that ignites, which can easily make it around that shield and cause the big bang anyways!! lol

Im not saying take it off.. But its not like your automatically going to blow yourself up either... Most cars i've seen with an after-market exhaust dont have it anyways.. And many in your boat have ripped them off, i just live with the noise until i get annoyed enough to fix it.. LOL... But out of all these people, you dont hear about cars just blowing up or catching fire do ya?
Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:48 AM
its actually important. its aluminum, not steel, and aluminum acts as a heat shield very well. without it, the interior has been reported to get very hot, and even start burning the carpet, or seats. its not just something to take off for weight reduction. leave it on there guys! ask a decent tech at a shop if you think i'm bs, if they've ever had a car come in because of a complaint of heat or burning smell, and it was the heat shield. think about it, if every car has one, from an accent, all the way up to high line benz, don't you think its important? these guys that design cars know a lot more about this stuff than we do, so lets trust em every once in a while?
Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:01 PM
paul bateman wrote:
Richard K wrote:
Rob wrote:

Sure, if your the kind person that thinks a 1/16" of steel is really keeping much of that heat away from the tank... Or dont understand that its the fuel vapor that ignites, which can easily make it around that shield and cause the big bang anyways!! lol

Im not saying take it off.. But its not like your automatically going to blow yourself up either... Most cars i've seen with an after-market exhaust dont have it anyways.. And many in your boat have ripped them off, i just live with the noise until i get annoyed enough to fix it.. LOL... But out of all these people, you dont hear about cars just blowing up or catching fire do ya?

No I don't hear of that happening at all actually. Of course it's hard to post about you being blown up in your car from ripping off your heat shield when your dead.

"Vroom."
"Yo I wouldn't race him, there's not even an interior in his car man."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"
"Oh sh*t. F*ck that, dude..."

Friday, December 20, 2013 1:46 PM
Wassup guys recently I had to change my fuel pump and had to cut my heat shield because it was riveted in so I cut around the rivets and now after about 2 months my heat shield is pretty @!#$ and is making a @!#$ load of noise because its hanging really low and hitting my exhaust so is it safe to just completely remove it because I cant deal with it anymore lol

Friday, December 20, 2013 3:17 PM
Most people remove theirs.
Saturday, December 21, 2013 11:34 AM
If you knew much about j's you would know that the heat shield in question is protecting heat from being transferred into te trunk. Unless you have valuables in your trunk you wouldn't like getting warm, you should be fine.
Saturday, December 21, 2013 11:35 AM
Austin Kaufeler wrote:Wassup guys recently I had to change my fuel pump and had to cut my heat shield because it was riveted in so I cut around the rivets and now after about 2 months my heat shield is pretty @!#$ and is making a @!#$ load of noise because its hanging really low and hitting my exhaust so is it safe to just completely remove it because I cant deal with it anymore lol
as Long as it isn't the heat shield by the gas tank you will be absolutely fine....
Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:06 PM
Its fine even if its the one by the tank.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search