oil Change interval with 15K oil - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
oil Change interval with 15K oil
Friday, July 16, 2010 9:03 PM
would it be wiser to follow gm's recomendation of a max 7500 mile oil change or go with the mobil 1 bottles 15,000 mile interval since it is extended range oil not sure with would be the more limiting factor

Re: oil Change interval with 15K oil
Friday, July 16, 2010 9:52 PM
i do mobile 1 and oil filter every 4,500 miles.
i dont drive in optimal conditions.
i drive city, freeway, county. high speed, low speed, stop and go... etc.

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Friday, July 16, 2010 10:50 PM
just tying to find out if if taking a risk with going beyond the gm recommend interval of 7500 miles or do you think im safe since the oil is gaunted to be good for 15,000 miles this it the first time i used it figured it would save me time and money

Friday, July 16, 2010 10:57 PM
It's probably fine for the 15K but I would definitely not be using one oil filter for 15K. If you decide to run the oil that long i'd at least change the filter at your regular intervals.

-Seth

Saturday, July 17, 2010 8:25 AM
i wouldn't take ANY oil to 15k.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, July 18, 2010 9:15 AM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:i wouldn't take ANY oil to 15k.

agreed. Oil is cheap... even if you factor in synthetic. 15k is pretty much a full year of driving daily. I'd never trust oil for that long.

Thats just me though.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 6:47 PM
Only BMW/MB recommend 12k oil changes, and that is if you use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Sunday, July 18, 2010 8:53 PM
Eternal wrote:

agreed. Oil is cheap... even if you factor in synthetic. 15k is pretty much a full year of driving daily. I'd never trust oil for that long.

Thats just me though.

what he said ^^^^

seriously change your god darn oil. it's cheap. 3,000 miles. if you hit 4 or 5 thousand ok no biggie. but for real? 15,000? it's people that pull that kind of @!#$ that blow motors.
oil is supposed to be changed regularly for a reason. just like an air filter.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 9:29 PM
The only way to extend a oil change would be to have a system like big trucks(class 8) with a oil fitler filtration system.In short they use synthetic and a filter that is changed before the 50,000 mile mark and you simply change the filter and it keeps the oil clean literally.Cars do not have this at least to my knowledge and running up to 15k is loco with out changing the filter at least.I will not bore you with the specifics on trucks but,there system works.I would stick with normal oil changes like 3k or so and new filter regardless of the suggested change interval.The additives breakdown and the filters do to.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 9:38 PM
seen how much a bottle of mobil 1 runs and a filter runs nowadays not like i got disposbale income but even the gm manual says 7500 miles is a safe limit for mostly highway miles

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:03 AM
I go between 7-9K miles each oil change with Mobil 1. No useage issues at all.

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:28 AM
Eternal wrote:

Thats just me though.

I always have and always will stick with my 3000 mile oil changes (some times 3500). I'd rather pay the price of oil and filter more frequently, then to role the dice with my motor's life span.

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:54 AM
EVILution (Low and kinda Slow) wrote:
Eternal wrote:

Thats just me though.

I always have and always will stick with my 3000 mile oil changes (some times 3500). I'd rather pay the price of oil and filter more frequently, then to role the dice with my motor's life span.

I've gone 7-9K miles on Mobil 1 the whole life of my '03 with 125K miles now...uses no oil and continues to run strong.
Monday, July 19, 2010 10:11 AM
Easiest thing to do is get a used oil analysis. It will tell you how much life the oil has in it.

Blackstone Labs

I would say that even a good dino oil could handle 5,000 miles if you do alot of highway driving.

Synthetic should be able to handle 7,500

Go with a 5,000 mile change, get a report done, and go from there.

Monday, July 19, 2010 11:51 AM
I use Valvoline Syntec 5W30, and after much research on JBO and brand comparisons, I now use K&N filters exclusively. Your oil doesn't matter nearly as much as the type of filter you use, IMO. I checked my oil yesterday, just got to 3k and the oil is a darkish gold, excellent, I think, for the type of daily driving I do. K&Ns are almost twice as much as regular filters, but once you start using them, you'll know where the extra money went. Still, I do full synthetic oil changes every 7k, and she still runs like new at almost 60k now.

Monday, July 19, 2010 7:01 PM
blucavvy wrote:
Eternal wrote:

Thats just me though.

what he said ^^^^

seriously change your god darn oil. it's cheap. 3,000 miles. if you hit 4 or 5 thousand ok no biggie. but for real? 15,000? it's people that pull that kind of @!#$ that blow motors.
oil is supposed to be changed regularly for a reason. just like an air filter.

Agreed as well. Ive used synthetic on my Cav since its first oil change, its now at 131K. I change oil and filter ever 3000 miles. I think a couple times I went to around 4000 not paying attention, but never beyond that.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search