Coolant leak? suggestions where from? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coolant leak? suggestions where from?
Sunday, January 30, 2011 4:37 AM
Hey guys I have a 2000 2.4L z24 Cavalier auto, 98k miles.

Car is leaking some coolant, I can't quit tell where its coming from but it will drip from the forward left part of the block/pan up there. Its a very slow leak.

any ideas and tips to narrow this down? I can drive it for like a week and not really have an issues and low coolant light will pop, throw a little distilled water in and be cool. Coolant is not trash, still looks decent(changed it few years ago @ 60k)

I am really looking to sell this car off and kind of want to be done with it. Was my wifes car, but she took mine for the kid, and I already bought another car.

-2000 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.4L
-2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 VVT

Previous... '85, '94, '00 Chevy Camaros, '92 Ford Mustang

Re: Coolant leak? suggestions where from?
Sunday, January 30, 2011 7:43 AM
Any more specifics on where the leak is? Is it by the tubes on the back of the engine? If it is from there it could be anywhere that connects to that tube. What are the exact miles on the car now? Around 100k these engines are known to have a leaking water outlet on the top right. If it leaks there it can drip all the way down to the lower tube, and anywhere else it feels like dripping to. I know this, had to change mine last summer. Some more specifics would help.
Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:26 AM
Can't tell just moved and have had issues getting my jacks and stands out. Also been pretty cold out as well.

As for mileage specifics, I think its 98,400 don't remember the rest, but that should be close enough.

The fluid was coming off the front of the oil or transmission pan, (further most pan towards the front, I don't remember the specifics of what under this car is, its my wifes car and haven't spent that much time on it, on the driverside. The leak is slight, but in about 2 weeks of driving, I will have a small puddle in the garage, and low coolant light, no overheating.

I will have to try and follow up the cooling system and figure it better.

I am just trying to rule out a waterpump.... Pretty much trying to get rid of the car fixed or not. Just debating if its worth fixing myself and selling or just selling with an issue.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 9:06 AM
Sounds like water inlet housing. Around 200 dollar job at a shop if you don't want to do it cause of weather.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 9:51 AM
Is it one of those plastic to block style setups?

top or bottom of block? Is it that hard to do yourself, or pretty straight forward. Will I need my jackstands?

Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:23 PM
yea kinda sounds like the water outlet. its on the driver's side on the cylinder head. theres a hose running from the outlet to the radiator, and a smaller hose running from the outlet to the heater core. its also what the temp sensor screws into. theyre plastic so they tend to crack or deteriorate over time and leak. the coolant will run down either side of the trans most of the time.

basically just take the intake out of the way and you have easy enough access. drain the coolant, pop off the hoses, unplug and unscrew the sensor, remove the 2 bolts that hold the housing to the head and yank it out. if you have to pry it out, careful not to gouge the head too badly. make sure the little o-ring seal comes out with it. clean up the hole in the head. install a new o-ring on the new water outlet, lube the seal and where the seal sits with some silicone or grease of some sort and re-install. some people like to use RTV to help seal between the head and the outlet, ive never had to but a little can't hurt. tighten bolts, re-install sensor, re-install hoses and clamps and fill/ bleed the cooling system.

easy enough to do with hand tools. probably take an hour at most, with drain and refill of system.

Monday, January 31, 2011 11:19 AM
^^^ That sounds about right. Its pretty easy to access... about all you need is a set of 1/4 inch drive sockets and a few extensions... pliers and a screwdriver maybe. Its a pretty easy job. like Crazy said... 200 in a shop, or just 15-20 at most by yourself.
Monday, January 31, 2011 9:24 PM
It's likey the water outlet like everyone else said, this did the same thing on my car, I replaced the black outlet with new seal, do not use any sealent for this it dose not call for it, if you do use sealant it will likely eat the new o-ring, it is a little tricky getting it back on, just clean up around the outlet and carfully insert it back in, to to check if it is leaking from the outlet on top of engine just get a flashlight and squeeze the upper rad hose you see where it is leaking. it cost me $40.00 did it myself.

good luck!!!

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:20 PM
I am having the same problem. I think the fan is out. I changed a relay under the hood. I have been under the car but I can't find exactly where. I have a 99 Cavy. I've only had it about 3 months so I am still learning it. Any help would be great. Thanks... Kit
Thursday, June 02, 2011 1:25 PM
Go to auto parts store. They sell a UV dye that can be added to the coolant and will help you follow the leak with a black(UV) light. I did this to my car and could find the leak even in the middle of the day.
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:55 AM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search