Fuel tank removal - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel tank removal
Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:30 AM
Howdy, i got a 2003 Cavalier the fuel pump went out on it last Friday, i've done a half dozen or better gm fuel pumps before. however i have the tank on this cavy all ready to drop straps and all lines and wiring undone. the darn thing will not budge though i was wondering if there is another mounting point i missed or if you have to completely remove the exhaust heat shield under the tank. any help will be muchly appriciated.

Re: Fuel tank removal
Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:46 AM
I didn't have to remove the heat shield completely just a couple of the rivets, then work it out and down.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:47 AM
You have to completely remove the heat shield and tap it back in again once you have replaced the pump. Have fun, fuel pumps are bitches on these cars.
Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:53 AM
Thanks, I'll go pull a few and see how she does. If I do end up pulling the heat shield whats the best way to refasten it with out any rattles later on?
Sunday, February 13, 2011 11:59 AM
I didn't remove no heat shield on the one i replaced...

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:13 PM
Assuming on just newer Cavaliers you have to do that? I'm going to replace my fuel pump soon on my 97.

www.gmofhouston.com
Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:31 PM
Oedwards wrote:I didn't remove no heat shield on the one i replaced...

x2

drop it down, replace pump, reinstall

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *
Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:51 PM
Brian E wrote: Have fun, fuel pumps are bitches on these cars.

no way. easy as can be. i had mine done in an hour maybe? Racetronix pump FTW.

Friday, February 18, 2011 8:34 PM
I agree mine was a pain today. I guess it's mostly because the hoses was very hard to take off.

www.gmofhouston.com
Friday, February 17, 2012 6:31 PM
I just finished removing my tank. I had trouble getting it out too. I found it hanging up on the rear axle, when the axle hangs freely. If you jack up the axle a little bit it clears it perfectly.
Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:51 AM
im about to do this on my 04 within a week or so. Got the Wbody pump/harness in the mail as we speak.
Ive heard nothing but 'easy' comments on replacing these pumps..so you must have some corroded parts or snagged up on something...

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 1:51 PM
I have dropped many of these all u have do to slide it out is pull down a little on the passenger side of the tank and the tank should slide right out with no problem it took me about 30-45 mins to drop and install the tank and pump if this helps at all...
Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:59 PM
well theres no good how to with pics anywhere...i guess this will be my goal when i put mine in...dunno how hard it is to snap shots and write up a how to for others

but it helps knowing people are doing it with such ease...the more work noobs can do to their cars with confidence, the more car enthusiasts we have getting involved in modding and not paying shops to do it.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, February 20, 2012 3:32 AM
When i did mine I took it out the passenger side. I took the passenger rear tire off to make more room to slide it out. I never removed any heat shields.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search