P0440 02 cavalier 2.2 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
P0440 02 cavalier 2.2
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:39 AM
Hey so my engine light came on about 2 months ago, I scanned it and it said 2 faults. 1 said N/A and the other one was p0440-pending.
I looked it up and got this:
A code P0440 could mean one or more of the following has happened:
The gas cap is not installed or working properly
The purge solenoid has failed
The canister is plugged and not working properly

I replaced the gas cap and it the engine light came back on a couple days later.

I recently got a service done and they said I need to replace my flex pipe (front exhaust?) and also my catalytic converter, but since the exhaust is welded together they have to replace everything.
Could that be why the engine light is on, is that associated with the code?

Another question, is it true that I have to replace my whole exhaust instead of just the flex pipe? My dad does all my work, and Canadian tire said it would cost $600 for them to fix it. I don't need an emissions test till October 2012 so I'm not in a hurry to fix it..
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Re: P0440 02 cavalier 2.2
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:32 AM
I'm not familiar with Canadian laws about emissions, but in NY anyway, a bad cat will always make you fail emissions, and your CEL will always be on. One way or another, you should have the exhaust done. However, if your dad does the work for you, you can get a better than stock exhaust for less than $600. If you aren't in a rush, look around on some of the parts sites, you can get some killer deals on performance exhausts which you can sometimes get for cheaper than the stock replacement.

I would also check both oxy sensors, though someone please chime in if this isn't where OP should be looking.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:02 PM
Ok, a PO440 is a evap leak detected code. Meaning there is something obviouly wrong and its noticing a leak in the system. Things I would check;

Brand New Gas Cap (which you said you done)
Check the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses for leaks (you may get lucky and see a broken or torn hose, or may even smell gas)
could be a small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
The EVAP Canister may be leaking or just broken.

The O2's in this situation have nothing to do with that, nor do the Cats or the exhaust. But it is very possible that while the new exhaust was being installed that something else was damaged. I would also double check anywhere the exhaust was replaced and see if any lines or hoses are near there that could be broken, chared, or just ripped.

Good luck.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:13 PM
Just fixed this code on my brothers car. Bad vent valve.

Have you ever had problema getting gas? Like it'll pump in $1 and click off like it's full (even if it's not)? Thats a symptom of this problem. Cheap easy fix.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:31 PM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:Ok, a PO440 is a evap leak detected code. Meaning there is something obviouly wrong and its noticing a leak in the system. Things I would check;

Brand New Gas Cap (which you said you done)
Check the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses for leaks (you may get lucky and see a broken or torn hose, or may even smell gas)
could be a small leak in the purge valve or vent valve
The EVAP Canister may be leaking or just broken.

The O2's in this situation have nothing to do with that, nor do the Cats or the exhaust. But it is very possible that while the new exhaust was being installed that something else was damaged. I would also double check anywhere the exhaust was replaced and see if any lines or hoses are near there that could be broken, chared, or just ripped.

Good luck.

Will do. I do smell gas when I start up my car, but it goes away after a little bit.
And I didn't get a new exhaust (I realize I worded it wrong in the post) but they wanted $600 to fix it, I said no.

Matt Linke wrote:Just fixed this code on my brothers car. Bad vent valve.

Have you ever had problema getting gas? Like it'll pump in $1 and click off like it's full (even if it's not)? Thats a symptom of this problem. Cheap easy fix.

Yeah it has done it a couple times.. Where do I find that on the car? Thanks
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:10 PM
Hey all, I put a cold air intake onto my 2001 2.2L Cavalier a while back that made no claims to be smog legal. Around that same time my check engine light came on for a p0440 code. First I tried replacing the gas cap with a new one, no effect. Next I took it to a shop to have a smoke test performed. They told me there were no leaks and the code was likely caused by my intake missing some sort of valve in the intake. I thought nothing of this for a while and have driven about 25,000 miles with the engine light on. Recently I found an intake system claiming to be smog legal on ebay for $70 after shipping, so I bought it. The thing is it looks exactly the same as the one I currently have, with no valves in the intake. Now I'm really stumped as to what the code could be caused by. Furthermore, my code scanner will read the codes, but no longer clear the light for some reason, and the fuse is not blown. Also, based on a recommendation I checked the PCV system. According to my Haynes service manual my car has no PCV valve but rather an oil/air seperator inside the valve cover which required no maintenence. However, today I pulled off the fresh air inlet hose and found oil around the sleeve the hose mounts over in the valve cover. Is this a sign of the problem? Is my air/oil seperator broken? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search