airbag light question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
airbag light question
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:54 AM
Hey there, had an airbag light come on the other day. I've had the car over 2 years and no airbag light at all. Put in a front sway bar and had to drop the subframe and the steering popped out. After it was back together I noticed the airbag light was on. Since the wheel could spin freely while the steering was not hooked up could the ring inside the wheel have gotten messed up and thrown the light? Thanks!

Re: airbag light question
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:52 AM
My guess is that you broke the "clock spring". Only fix is a new one.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:13 AM
Yea thats what I figured. From what I've read doesn't seem to be too too bad of a fix just $$. Have you had to fix yours?
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:29 PM
I had to replace the clock spring since it broke, this triggers a hard code that is registered in the black box under pass seat (donīt remember whatīs called), it canīt be erased, had to replace that too to get rid of the light. There is a company in NY that erases this codes youīll have to send it to them or buy one alredy cleaned, found them through Ebay.
Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:37 PM
From what I understand ....if you replace the piece that makes the light appear than as soon as the piece is fixed the light should work its way off...
Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:42 PM
Go ahead and try and post results.
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:42 PM
So, I got this same light on my dash after dropping my subframe to install a new rack and pinion. Not sure what the relation is to this piece breaking, but though i'd buy a new one to see if it makes a difference.
Took the wheel off, and realized that wasn't my problem. There is a plastic piece that the clock spring goes over. It's what holes in a metal wire (power or ground, not sure) but that plastic had broken. This piece looks to be a part of the column. Now, I'm not even sure how to take this part out, or where to find a new one. I bet GM discontinued it, like everything on this car....
On with some pics to clarify what I mean.
This wire with white plastic cover, was loose as soon as I removed the airbag.

Looking down this hole, it looks like a part of this black plastic is loose.

After I got the clock spring off, I got a better side picture showing the problem.

So, as you can see, this white plastic is suppose to lock down in here, but with the black plastic broken, it won't anymore.

I found in my GM Service manual, it calls that piece, a CAM ASM T/SIG CANCEL part.

And you need this special tool to remove it, but maybe autozone rents something like it???

Any idea how to get this piece off, and if GM sells it???

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:00 PM
Get a lock plate tool.

It pushes the lock plate (metal part) down so you can take off the circlip.

Then it all just slides apart.

Im sure you can but a new one....if not the wrecker will have what you need.
Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:18 PM
Thanks, your right. I was able to find the part on a few websites, called Cam Signal. And autozone does have a lock plate remover.

Looks like i'll be ordering the "cam signal" part and then renting the tool to install it.

Thursday, May 02, 2013 5:55 AM
The red wire is simply for the horn. The black plastic piece is a sort of quick connect to holt the spring loaded wire in. They usually break by the person removing the airbag pulling the bag off too fast or letting it drop amd hang after removal.

It shouldnt trigger your airbag light. I know of 2 cars personally that have the black tube broken with no light.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, May 02, 2013 7:57 PM
Yes, I think you may be correct. I just put the new Cam Signal back in, so I guess my Horn is fixed now, but the airbag light is still on, So, I need to find my resistance/volt meter and test it for conductivity. But I already have a new clock spring sitting in the passenger seat waiting to go in if that's the problem.

Friday, May 03, 2013 12:41 AM
funny I just saw this thread....I actually ordered a steering wheel to upgrade from my ugly stocker on my 04 cav and had a question!
do you guys know (since we're on the subject of airbags) if once I remove the air bag wire and fuse, if ill still have an airbag light? can it be turned off or are people just removing the bulb for it? (the ghetto way lol)

will the passenger air bag still be operational if the driver side is unplugged? I asked in the interior section but figure this one gets more traffic for electronic specifics.

cheers!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Friday, May 03, 2013 5:36 AM
You would be better off wiring in a resistor in place of the driver side bag if you want the passenger side to still work. It definately will not work if you pull the airbag fuse. The resistor will keep the light from showing up on the dash.

On a side note, where did you get your hub adapter? 03.5 -05 cars use a smaller splined shaft so the momo adapter for the 95-03 is too big.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, May 03, 2013 11:38 PM
I don't have an adapter or quick release yet...im looking for one. keep in mind I have a non-tilt column which I think is the same column for all 95-05, it might be the tilt ones that had variations..?

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search