Ecotec Gurus Out There, I need your help ASAP!!!!! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Gurus Out There, I need your help ASAP!!!!!
Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:15 AM
Hey guys!! I know you maybe asking what im talking about since i have a 00 Z and it doesnt have a Ecotec. Well, im really hoping to change that, and in the VERY near future. Now I have to ask. Its hard as hell to find a parts car in my area and I found a car my buddy at work has and he is willing to sell me the whole thing for 900. Now, its either a 04-05 Malibu (def not newer and he isnt 100% sure of the year) that has the Ecotec Motor and trans I can get out of it. All of it has only 19k on it, so its a great deal. BUT, my question, and I have been looking EVERYWHERE and I cant find a solid answer. I know the engine will work, no problems, I just cant use the harness and computer from the Malibu since its drive by wire. But my major issue is the transmission. Is it the same as the J's??????? And if anyone can shed some more light on if the engine will work. I know ill have to change the throttle body but I can get one for 30 bucks on ebay shipped. So im not worried about it. So given that information, does anyone know if the engine and trans will work as a swap into my Vert. I need to know asap, since im due to pick it up either this weekend or next. So im looking to the Ecotec gurus that can find this goofy information and go from there. I just wanna know will it work, and can I use it??? Thanks alot guys, and any help is appreciated!!!

Re: Ecotec Gurus Out There, I need your help ASAP!!!!!
Saturday, June 25, 2011 8:39 PM
dont quote me on this but i would guess that you will have to create a hybrid harness adapting FBW to cable throttle then tune the Malibu ECM to remove the fly-by-wire feature. or you can install the pedal inside to retain fly-by-wire. either way its best you retain the Malibu ECM and harness since your removing a quad4 and installing a 2.4 ecotec. yes the trans should work it should be the 4T40E or 4T45E

Re: Ecotec Gurus Out There, I need your help ASAP!!!!!
Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:53 AM
mike lyons wrote:dont quote me on this but i would guess that you will have to create a hybrid harness adapting FBW to cable throttle then tune the Malibu ECM to remove the fly-by-wire feature. or you can install the pedal inside to retain fly-by-wire. either way its best you retain the Malibu ECM and harness since your removing a quad4 and installing a 2.4 ecotec. yes the trans should work it should be the 4T40E or 4T45E

Mike I think I wrote it wrong. The engine I was "thinking" I was getting was the 2.2 ecotec and was just asking if I could use the 4t45e with the J harness/pcm, since I was gonna change the TB and such. But actually ended up being a false alarm, since the malibu I got ended up being a "CLASSIC" which is a mirror of our cars as far as our engines and trans's so no worry's anymore. I can use it all from this car and I feel alot better knowing this.

But thanks for the info, had I had the 4t45E trans like I thought I would have had to do something. But no need to now!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search