key getting stuck in ignition - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
key getting stuck in ignition
Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:19 AM
hi new to the forums im been having problems with the wifes car lately so here is the main problem. yesterday i was taking it out for a drive after i did light maint. to it. when i got back and went to turn the car off i could not get it to the lock position it was stuck in acc. the weird thing is that i could pull the key out even when it was in acc. so i asked my wife has this happened before and she said yes only when its hot out and to get the key into lock and out you have to depress the brake and move it to a gear and then back to park. now to me it sound like that switch that tells the car that the shifter is in park i can think of the technical name. so can anybody help me out with this problem?

Re: key getting stuck in ignition
Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:54 PM
Sounds like youre ignition cyl is needing replacing. Its common issue. Mine is an 01 cavalier, Its having the same issue at times.
Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:18 PM
very common, id go ahead and deal with it while u can turn it, otherwise u can either chizzle it out when it gets stuck or whole new steering column..its very easy to take out while it turns
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:12 PM
well i was looking at the haynes book on it seems pretty simple its just that it says to disable the air bag system do i really have to do this? and if i do how do you disable it. this is on a 98 sunfire se
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search