2.2 Water Pump Question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 Water Pump Question
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:49 AM
Simple enough really, is the water pump ran off of the timing like my old GT was?

Re: 2.2 Water Pump Question
Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:05 AM
ecotec or ohv? ohc its a stand alone unit but a pia to do becuase its tight, the ecotec is run off the timing chain.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:05 AM
ohv* is stand alone sorry

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:01 PM
Ohv. So regardless it's usually a good one to send to the garage to have done? I wouldn't even think about doing one ran off of my timing.

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:02 PM
Mine is the 1997, 2.2 liter, vin digit#8 is 4.
It looks like the water pump is driven by the serpentine belt, also the belt tensioner, alternator and PS unit, oh and also the A/C
which I want removed.
The belt comes off easy with I think a 15mm wrench, an offset wrench to turn the tensioner pulley bolt clockwise loosens the belt completely. (If it's the 2.2 like mine)
Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:30 AM
Yeah it would be the same 2.2. I may look into doing it myself if it's that simple.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:35 PM
the ohv water pump is really easy. take of the alternator, and then you'll have easy access to it.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, March 25, 2012 4:30 PM
The ohv is simple. I did mine from underneath the car but I had a hoist. It's 4 bolts. Use a thin film of gasket eliminator on your gasket to hold it in place while placing your pump into position, and torque the bolts to 18-20 ft pounds. If I were you i'd torque them to 240 inch pounds. Bleed your coolant system well after your done it...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search