changing 2200 oil filter from under hood? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
changing 2200 oil filter from under hood?
Friday, May 04, 2012 3:32 AM
Just wondering if anyone changes theire oil filter on the 2200 engine from under the hood? not sure if it can be accessed from under the hood as it looks tight and you have to reach down; i may try tonight just wantted to see if its possiable before taking my strut bar off etc..

I have been changing the oil on the 2200 for years now but i alwayas take off the front passenger tire to access the filter wich is a pain; looking for a easier way...

Thanks for any input..

98 j-body sedan

Re: changing 2200 oil filter from under hood?
Friday, May 04, 2012 3:39 AM
i taake my pass side wheel off and theres a arm sized hole that u can reach in right to the filter...i cant even get mine under the hood or under do to 2in exaust

Friday, May 04, 2012 5:31 AM
I always did it out the top.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Friday, May 04, 2012 12:38 PM
Thanks fellows, i will try out the top, i have been doing it by taking the tire off, pain in the rear, will try from top.....

98 j-body sedan

Friday, May 04, 2012 12:42 PM
Oh throw out that black metal bracket for the factory intake, clears up a ton of space.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Friday, May 04, 2012 1:23 PM
relocate the CPU under the dash and toss the factory intake bracket. You will be able to change in from up top without any issues. That was how i always did mine.

Friday, May 04, 2012 1:57 PM
As long as you don't overtighten your filter its easy from the top

Friday, May 04, 2012 2:16 PM
i did mine under the car or from the hole on passenger wheel well, found it easier to get a better grip and to clean around teh area after from the access hole in passenger fenderwell, also i wrap the exhaust pipe in tinfoil so the oil runs off and doesnt create smoke later on.

Friday, May 04, 2012 3:28 PM
i always get them from the bottom but that is using hoist which most people dont have
Friday, May 04, 2012 9:19 PM
my arm is to big to work behind the intake on my old 96 2.2....like i said before i used to change the oil from under the car and get oil all over..i found the access hole easy and clean

Friday, May 04, 2012 9:49 PM
I used to go elbow deep on my 2200 and got it from the top. gotta love the exhaust pipe right under the filter that it drips down on and will smoke like crazy if you dont brake clean it off...

Friday, May 04, 2012 11:13 PM
well, once I put the CAI on my car I was able to change the oil filter no problem, when you guys put you aftermarket exhaust on your cars did you get it made so that it was out of the way for future oil changes?

I am looking for struts for my newly aquired Eibach pro-kit performance coils, If anybody has some?
Saturday, May 05, 2012 1:18 AM
I usually am able to change from the top, it takes some maneuvering though. Whoever thought it was a good idea to place the filter in such a inconvenient place should be fired.
Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:38 PM
i did mine today from under the car very easy to get off and on, car is a 5 speed maybe that is why.
Friday, July 12, 2013 9:02 PM
i always remove my filter from the top but i also removed my ac so there is no accumulator in the way
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search