1996 2.2L wont start. Tried EVERYTHING. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1996 2.2L wont start. Tried EVERYTHING.
Monday, May 21, 2012 4:23 PM
I bought this 1996 Sunfire 5-speed for $300 from my buddy. He said it just died on him. It gets spark on the 4th cylinder. I didnt check 3,2, or 1. It gets gas, the ends of the plugs get wet when cycling the key, and you can head the fuel pump running for a few seconds every time the key is cycled. I left the plugs out, and turned it over, and blew everything out of the cylinders(looked like some black soot). I re-grounded the body ground, as it was rusted off of the battery tray.
I swapped ALL of the following parts from a 1996 Cavi 5-speed that ran when the parts were pulled, so i know they are good, and the parts WERE compatable:
ICM, both coils, spark plugs & wires, Crankshaft position sensor, NEW camshaft position sensor, IAC valve, TPS, MAP sensor
I am COMPLETELY confused. The last thing i think it could be, is a broken timing chain....I'm really hoping it isnt that. Is there any way to tell if its a broken timing chain without lowering the motor some, and removing the timing chain cover? Any help, or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as i am baffled.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: 1996 2.2L wont start. Tried EVERYTHING.
Monday, May 21, 2012 7:41 PM
I took the valve cover off, and turned it over. The rocker arms weren't moving at all. Sooo, that means the timing chain is broke...right? And if it is, can i use the same head and all from it if i replace the timing chain? I have another 1996 motor with lower miles with a new timing chain, but bad rod. So if i needed, i could take the head and chain off of that motor, and put it in the sunfire. So, would it be that easy? Just swap the head, and timing chain?

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"
Re: 1996 2.2L wont start. Tried EVERYTHING.
Monday, May 21, 2012 7:56 PM
Why not just keep the head on and buy a new timing chain?

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search