Front End wiring harness replacement - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Front End wiring harness replacement
Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:11 PM
Hello all,
I recently had to tear apart my '04 Cav LS to figure out why my left headlight wouldn't work. I went through the normal stuff first (bulb and fuse) to no avail. So I started looking at wiring, and found that the massive harness that goes from under the battery tray, to both headlights, the windshield wiper sprayer motor, the front impact sensor, and the horn was massively (like every single wire was cut) damaged and repaired with none other than blue painters tape and twisting the wires back together. I took one look at this and my heart dropped because I knew what it was from, and that unfortunately a professional shop had done this to the car. But that's not the purpose of this post... After testing it with a multimeter, it has a voltage drop of almost 8 volts between the "start" and "end" sides for the left headlight, not to mention I think that every other wire in this harness has been cut and repaired with painters tape.

I wanted to know if anyone knew of a place that makes or carries new OEM harnesses. I looked on sites such as Autozone and O'reillys, but can't find one, probably because I don't know its technical name. If I don't get some reasonably quick reply's here I'm probably going to hope for the best and pull one from a junk car.

Thank JBO!

Re: Front End wiring harness replacement
Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:00 AM
Junk yard is probably going to be your best/cheapest option. That is the only place that I know that you would be able to find one. You might find one on ebay, but that is a big might.

Sunday, October 14, 2012 7:59 AM
Well, looks like you are right. I even called the local chevy dealers, and they can't order one. Oh well. Thanks for your input! Off to the U-pull-and-pay!
Monday, October 15, 2012 5:09 PM
Just in case anyone else has this issue, it seems to be a fairly easy replacement. You have to remove the front bumper and the front portion of the front plastic wheelwells, the lower and upper portions of the intake, and the windshield wiper fluid bottle to get this harness out. There is one huge pigtail right under the battery tray that disconnects the lighting harness from all the other harnesses in the car, and then it powers your: windshield wiper sprayer pump, left headlight assembly, front impact sensor, right headlight assembly, horn, and lighting system resistor. It took me about 3 hours total to replace it, and the junk yard charged me $6 for the replacement harness I took off of a wrecked '05 Cav.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search