Effective Hardcore Maintenance - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Effective Hardcore Maintenance
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:45 PM
Okay, I just recently purchased a 2001 4dr Cav for 300 bucks with 300k miles on it, The check engine light is on bc the tranny takes a sec to shift into gear (BUT never fear i have 3 other spare 2200's with trannies...lol yea...)

I got the oil changed, i drained and cleaned the antifreeze reservoir and refilled it with good coolant for the upcoming cold, plus maybe less strain on the thermo.

Questions:
1. Best Spark Plugs/Wires that aren't focused on performanced, just pure reliability and cost effecient.

2. Bushings or Bearings, someone in another thread said I should check every one of these and replace if needed but I forgot what they said and I have no idea what either would be.

3. I put SEAFOAM in the gas tank to get rid of any crude and im gonna repeat with 3 full tanks and run them dry to get as much gunk clogging the fuel filter and out of the tank as much as possible then replace the fuel filter, but again idk what to buy or where.

4. Any other maintenance things anyone can think of? Im not really looking for power or anything, just making a reliable DD until I finish a project car and make a few bucks off selling them both off and upgrade.

Re: Effective Hardcore Maintenance
Thursday, November 01, 2012 8:16 AM
Just ask for stock replacement plugs/wires. Ac delco for plugs... wires are whatever works as long as its name brandMotor mounts and suspension components is where you will find your bushings to check and replace.

Have a nice day.
Re: Effective Hardcore Maintenance
Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:35 PM
NGK plugs are cheaper than ac delco's and they will be fine. Fuel filter can be purolator or whatever they have. Check the wheel bearings,but they should be obvious if they are bad. Check the front end basically. ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, sway bar end links and bushings.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search