Car won't start after accident. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car won't start after accident.
Saturday, December 08, 2012 10:27 PM
Well yesterday I hit a guardrail with my 97 sunfire 2.4 5 speed. Airbags went off and when it came to a stop the car was still idling no issues. I shut it off and when I got it home she would crank but not start. I haven't investigated much yet but all lights work and the theft light is on. I'm sure I have to reset the theft light but is there an issue with getting a dash pad and new steering well cover and letting it go. I'm not claiming it on insurance so it won't be totaled out and I don't need to have new airbags. Guess what I need to know is what should I need to be able to drive it. Frame is good just bent the subframe up pretty bad.

Re: Car won't start after accident.
Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:11 AM
I'm not sure how the airbag module interfaces into the car. But I have heard before that some cars will disable the fuel pump in the event of airbag deployment, assumingly to prevent fires from a broken fuel line or something. So it's entirely possible that it won't restart until that airbag module is either replaced or reset.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:46 PM
Well after looking at it today the fuel pump does prime and there is a ticking coming from the fuel rail area while the key is on? Theft lights on and everything so I'm not sure exactly
Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:08 PM
if the theft light is on then reset the theft system, if it won't reset you probably have an issue somewhere caused by the accident..

Have a nice day.
Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:01 PM
Z24Sunfire wrote:Well yesterday I hit a guardrail with my 97 sunfire 2.4 5 speed. Airbags went off and when it came to a stop the car was still idling no issues. I shut it off and when I got it home she would crank but not start. I haven't investigated much yet but all lights work and the theft light is on. I'm sure I have to reset the theft light but is there an issue with getting a dash pad and new steering well cover and letting it go. I'm not claiming it on insurance so it won't be totaled out and I don't need to have new airbags. Guess what I need to know is what should I need to be able to drive it. Frame is good just bent the subframe up pretty bad.

Bad news. Even if you don't claim it on your insurance, they'll still likely deny any future claims, especially without airbags.

Dennis
Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:30 PM
I can get airbags for it no issues but if that were the case what do it have to replace with it? Just airbags or the whole system/module
Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:33 PM
Also I'm gonna try to get a windshield for it while I'm at the local picknpull yard. Is there any way to get a windshield out without destroying it or do I need special tools for the job. I was thinking a bicycle cable may do the trick but not sure
Monday, December 10, 2012 4:14 AM
Dunno, but i'm pretty sure they glue windshields on. So you might have a ton of trouble. I'm with Masterflight. Just claim it on the insurance and be done with it.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, December 10, 2012 7:37 AM
They'll just total it being it was my fault I won't get a single dime from the insurance and still be out a car when this one is fixable
Monday, December 10, 2012 9:47 AM
If you don't mind driving to fort wane,in. the Take A Part dose windshield installs for $99 and has a pretty good selection of j body's.
Monday, December 10, 2012 2:45 PM
Z24Sunfire wrote:They'll just total it being it was my fault I won't get a single dime from the insurance and still be out a car when this one is fixable

When an insurance company totals a car they will give you money equaling the value of the vehicle minus deductible. So, while you won't have a car, you'll have money to get another car, or at least make a down payment on another car.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 12:05 AM
Not when I have liability and comprehensive, doesn't cover accident that wasn't my fault
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:42 AM
So basically you don't have insurance for that.

You have to ask yourself at this point, which would be better. Spending all the money to fix up that old of a car that's now totaled, and will probably never drive the same again. Or go over to Taylor's new Kia dealership down there and buying one of those, taking the good MPG and maybe mod that.

Personally, I'd sell the J-body for scrap.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:16 PM
Frame isn't hurt on my car. All it needed was a cradle. Which I already put under the car and bolted it all up. Wheels are straight and everything is well aligned. All I need is a new computer and a windshield and it'll be drive able. Gotta think I deliver pizzas and make @!#$ty money. Not really able I get a new car. And I love jbodys and this car has a sort of sentimental value to me so saving it is my personal preference.
With that said know anyone with a spare 97 2.4l 5 speed PCM for sale for cheap? Took the cover off mine since it had a dent and all the magic white smoke was gone out of it
Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:19 PM
I've got a PCM here, but I'm not really sure what it goes to. Could be to a 99 w/2200 and auto for all I know.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:30 PM
If I knew how to upload pics from my phone I would. It's all back together. Just waiting to get a computer tomorrow and put in the windshield
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search