HELP Car Won't Even Turn Over Completely Stumped! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HELP Car Won't Even Turn Over Completely Stumped!
Friday, February 15, 2013 6:12 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm new here but I'm honestly kind of desperate right now for any insight you guys might have on an issue I have with my 2000 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L SE Coupe. A few hours earlier I had parked it, and then went out to start it just like any old day and it wouldn't start. Now this is the odd part, absolutely NOTHING changed between when I had no trouble starting it, and now. The radio, interior lighting, dash lighting all function properly, yet when I turn the key to the ON position, normally this should enable the Instrument Panel Cluster as well as the Wipers and Blinkers. I figured it could've been a dead battery so I jump started it, after around 2 minutes of leaving the car connected to a running vehicle. Turning the ignition to ON did absolutely nothing. The engine will not even crank or try to turn over. I have dead silence. Something strange that happens is, if I put on the blinker either left or right, it will not turn on if I put the car to the ON position, but if I put it to START (push the key forward as if I was starting the engine) the blinker will start to blink until I release the key. I've dismantled around the ignition cylinder and everything appears to be connected, I even tried disconnecting the ignition module and hot-wiring (I know this isn't condoned but I own the vehicle ) the two red wires together and then connecting the brown ignition wire and I get nothing. Through all this the shifter has been in park. I found something laying on the ground that must've become disconnected through driving but I doubt it has an effect? I'm not sure what it is but it is round, with a red and yellow vacuum hose running to it, and it has an arm that when compressed pushes air somewhere under either the dash or the climate control system. I have absolutely no idea what is causing this, ANY suggestions would be helpful ! Thank you so much !

-Matt

Re: HELP Car Won't Even Turn Over Completely Stumped!
Friday, February 15, 2013 7:41 PM
you're not going to be able to hot wire a car with theft lock.

check the wires at the starter.
check the wire coming off the alternator.

double check the car is in park/ neutral and try to start.

if still no start, with the car in park/neutral and the e-brake set and the wheels chocked, have someone hold the key in the START position and check voltage on the starter.
if it's getting voltage, the starter is bad.

if it's not getting voltage, check the starter relay under the hood. swap it with one of the other relays or replace it.
key in START, check voltage at the starter.

if voltage is still not getting to the starter, check the neutral safety switch/ clutch safety switch and make sure they are ok.

key in START, check voltage at the starter.

still no start, I'd suspect the ignition switch itself.

try 'bump starting' the starter by using a screw driver across the two hot leads. If the starter fires, it's not getting voltage for some reason.

you're going to need a multimeter to diagnose this.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:52 AM
I don't believe I have an anti-theft system in my vehicle though, because there is no anti-theft light that ever lights up inside my car?
Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:09 AM
There is. The light Should say "security" in the dash. If it doesnt come up at all it is either taped over in the cluster or possibly burnt out.

Have a nice day.
Saturday, February 16, 2013 1:04 PM
If you have a J-body 96 or newer, you have an anti-theft system.

I would suggest taking the battery out, charging it, then taking it to the parts store and having it load tested. A friend of mine once had a 96 Sunfire that wouldnt start because the battery puked out from an internal short. Not only would it not crank, but you also couldn't start it with jumper cables attached. I got it to start by pulling the battery out of my car and popping in his, and it fired up on the first try.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:23 AM
One time my sunfire died, as I was driving. When I turned it to ON, I failed to realize I couldn't hear the fuel pump which usually makes a little noise when you start the car or turn it to ON. I had functional lights, radio, etc, so it might be that. Sadly they charged me double for a tow because my body kit kept them from being able to tow my car the easy way.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search