back in a J body - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
back in a J body
Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:14 AM
Hey guys, I just returned to J body ownership after an absence due to wrecking my (purchased new) 93 sunbird 2.0 liter / 5 speed coupe summer of 2011. I picked up a 2002 Cavalier sedan 2.2 OHV 4 speed auto, working A/C, 103,000 miles, decent silver body. PAID ONLY $300 because previous owners son litteraly drove it till the brakes fell off and got a full retail estimate that made them say not worth it. Wore pads down thru backing, thru caliper pistons. wore rotors thru the outer surface, thru the vent groves, until the rotors swept area actually broke off the "hat" part of the rotor. Trail of rusty brake crumbs stuck to paint on fenders, doors and even the back bumper from air swirl. front tires were thru to cord right across the width. Looks like somebody was in a high speed police chase or The 24 Hours of Lemons.
Also, there was an oil change reminder sticker saying return at 89,000 miles or Nov 1012 on the windshield, so a year and a half and 17,000 miles on the oil! I pulled the stick and nothing. Was 3 quarts low on a 4 quart system. I filled it and ran it 20 min to help pick up contaminants before i drained it and it was black like tar. Yet it idles smooth with no lifter tap or any odd sounds even on a cold start. Im no stranger to being hard on a car as a young man. My first car was a (bought new by mom) 1990 black and silver Z24 3.1 liter auto that was totalled in september 1991 with only 22,000 miles on it. But I always kept my mechanicals clean. Always!
Anyhow, should have her registered and insured soon, and im sure i'll be back soon for advice, so i just wanted to say Hi first. mike

Re: back in a J body
Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:31 AM
Hey mike, welcome back and welcome to the 3rd gen problems! I mean... hey and welcome lol.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search