IAT sensor failure/ temperamental...?? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
IAT sensor failure/ temperamental...??
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 1:26 AM
I have an 02 Cavalier Z24 2.4L 5 speed with 162,000. Ive had no problems untill about a month ago when i turned my ac on and the compressor just kicked on and off. I figured the compressor was shot or needed an R-134a charge. Just this past Friday my CEL came on. I got home hooked my OBD-II up and the error " P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input" came up.

In a short summary the issues are: 1) my ac compressor rapidly cycles on and off with an interval of 5 seconds or less with or without my check engine light on. 2) i do not have the hard shifting issue... i guess due to the fact of having a manual transmission, but i do have a "surging" issue that occurs when the ac compressor cycles on and off. 3) using my obd-II (after CEL came back on after going off for only a few bours) earlier today I checked the IAT temp and instead of a constant minimum or maximum it is semi-raipidly changing from the normal outside temp between 77° and 82° to between -40° and -44°. And since my CEL came back on the ac compressor works with no issues...

Ive read on other forums that the possible issues can be/are caused by: faulty IAT sensors; loose wiring in the sensor connection or wiring harness; low ac refridgerant...?; or worst case scenario... a faulty/bad PCM

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Re: IAT sensor failure/ temperamental...??
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 4:29 AM
Change your IAT Pigtail.... very common failure for the cav's from 98-02 to do this

Erik Packard
Monday, July 15, 2013 5:16 PM
I agree with ricozero, The pigtail is a common failure. All in all, the sensor is usually a pretty stout unit.
Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:36 PM
You can check the wiring to see if it has a issue. My guess is wiring.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search