99 Cav Electrical Issues - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
99 Cav Electrical Issues
Monday, October 07, 2013 8:33 PM
Okay, so I've been driving my 99 cav for about 5 months now, and since I got it, it has had a couple of very annoying nuisance electrical problems.

1. Fuel gauge reads about right, maybe slightly low, until it gets down to around 1/4 of a tank, at which point it changes direction and gradually climbs back up, eventually ending up past the full mark on the gauge.

2. The torque converter lockup clutch locks and unlocks rapidly and repeatedly, but only at certain speed/engine load points. The thing I find most puzzling is that I tried changing the torque converter lockup points in hptuners, and this simply changed the points at witch the lock/unlock shudder occurs. I have NOT had any problems with the tcc lockup, besides this. Most of the time it works perfectly, and does not stick at all.

3. Erratic Idle/engine surge on the highway, these cars all do this to some extent, but this one seems particularly bad.

4. Engine Coolant temp gauge fluctuates, as well as the coolant temp readings in hptuners. This is sporadic, most of the time the coolant temps read fine, but sometimes they become erratic, with no probable explanation.

This car has relatively low miles (91,000; had 80,000 when I got it)

The car is, however, and R-Title car, from an obvious right-front collision. I am wondering if some damage could have possibly been done to the pcm/wiring harness. Although if that was the case, I don't think I would be able to read and flash the pcm with hptuners.

Perhaps these problems are all unrelated, but I never experienced any of these problems on my 2000 Sunfire, leading me to believe that these problems are specific to this car. Couple that with the R-title, and you can understand my concern.

Any thoughts/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: 99 Cav Electrical Issues
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 3:52 AM
Fuel gauge issue is probably the sending unit in the tank. It also sounds like you have a bad ground for that circuit as well...check the plug next to the gas tank under the car.

The torque converter shutter can be caused by low fluid. What else is changed in the trans settings. You can REALLY easily mess up the trans with the wrong settings.

Sounds like a vacuum leak, and again a bad ground.

I'm not kidding.....smack the dash above the right side of the cluster....above the digital odometer....the gauge cluster connector is probably bad....and the ground to it seems to be okish. This should temp. fix the gauges if they are acting crazy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, October 08, 2013 3:53 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 12:35 PM
It is the 3spd trans, so the only computer settings are for tcc function.
Sunday, November 10, 2013 12:03 AM
Is it possible the TCC is a separate issue of just being worn? Is it giving you more of a chattering where it can be grabbing and slipping?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search