2001 Cavalier 2.2 5 Speed ecu swap - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2001 Cavalier 2.2 5 Speed ecu swap
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:02 AM
i have had an on going temp gage problem it does not work i started with replacing the sending unit then the instrument cluster as mine did not have a tach so i got one out of a automatic car that had a tach go figure well anyway it still did not work so i got into the wiring diagram found out i should have 5v signal at the sending unit which i did not have so i went through rest of harness and found a 5v wire and ran it to the voltage side of the sending unit still nothing so i checked the continuity of both wires to the ecu and found that the signal return wire was open so i re ran atha wire and still nothing now i am not 100% sure i had right wiring diagram as it came from auto zone and was under the 2.4 model but it was the only one that had right connectors and wires i do believe that it is the ecu itself i have another parts car which is also a 2001 2.2 but is an auto i am wondering if i switch the ecu and bcm as a pair will my car still run as i have heard that you cannot replace one without the other unless you program it which have no way of doing i have all kinds of time and not a lot of cash this is my daily driver to and from work miles a day and i do believe that the ecu believes the engine is ice cold it starts runs fine untill you stop shut engine down when i is ho then try to restart wthin 20 min then it hard starts and acts like a 2 stroke with fouled plug till you get it to rev up then it runs fine again i am not worried about the cel as it is on anyway but with the new ecu programed for auto tranny will this affect the engine contrls? any insight will be appreciated

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search