2005 cavi manual shifter - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2005 cavi manual shifter
Thursday, January 07, 2016 8:09 AM
Hey guys, new member here. Ive done some digging and cant come up with an answer, my shifter is really sloppy. Is there a way to rebuild it? like new bushings and stuff? any help is appreciated!

Re: 2005 cavi manual shifter
Friday, January 08, 2016 9:37 AM
Have you checked your shifter to see if the o-rings are still there? In my case they were not, and the plastic cup that the ball sits in was worn from the previous owner just using it as-is. to take up the excess slack I used this washer, it was purchased at a hardware store (Rona, plumbing department LOL). I put the washer I linked to over top of the o-ring (also plumbing o-rings bought at Rona) I also replaced, then put the ring cap piece back on. I then trimmed the washer slightly with a knife to prevent it from limiting movement of the shifter at the "corners" in 1st, 2nd, 5th and reverse. Applied grease liberally. It's been nice and snug for 6 months now. Doesn't look too pretty, but it works and cost 2 bucks.
Attachments
IMG_20160108_093007214.jpg (1272k)

Thursday, January 14, 2016 12:37 PM
I ended up finding a complete assembly at a pull a part for $25. SCORE! but the new one is just the slightest bit sloppy. Ill have to try what you said. I did try pulling my old one apart but could not get the white piece off the ball on the side of the shifter. Any suggestions on that?
Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:28 PM
As a owner of two manual trans vehicles the shifter's plastic components wear out.Causing the slop.If it were me I would go to a site like http://www.gmpartsdirect.com and enter your cars information and look at the pdf files showing a break down of the shifter.You probably can buy a shifter kit and the plastic Oring slips onto the ball of the metal shifter knob.Just lubricate it with some lithium grease(white) or just wheel bearing grease works fine to reinstall the plastic sleeve as I call it.I will say I had to replace my shifter parts on my 87 mazda truck and not hard to do.It has the same white colored plastic sleeve (oring) on the metal ball of the shifter.You do have to massage it a bit to slide the New ring on but it will go.Grease or even liquid wrench etc work to do the same idea.Using a used assembly means the problem will return.Buying new oem gm parts is not out of the question even if the price is well more than used,or kind of higher for a long term benefit.I do not know how Gm list there shifter parts and it may be multiple items over a KIT so buy what you need.Also gm parts direct show pictures of EACH component and breaks down the price on each item!

Friday, January 15, 2016 11:07 PM
If you want to use the washer I mentioned earlier, it is only necessary to remove the black "cap" that holds the ball of the shifter down inside the base of the assembly. The cap is the black ring in the picture I posted. It feels brittle and is quite stiff, so be careful taking it off. The washer goes in flange facing down, over top of the o-ring (if it is still there). You can do it without removing the stick from the base.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search