86 buick skyhawk power steering pump help - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
86 buick skyhawk power steering pump help
Saturday, June 11, 2016 11:54 AM
Hi I need to know how to remove the pulley from a power steering pump in my 86 Buick Skyhawk 1.8 it looks like there's an island in the middle of the pulley and wondering what size that might be
Attachments
1465671193917310289351.jpg (983k)

Re: 86 buick skyhawk power steering pump help
Saturday, June 11, 2016 11:56 AM
I meant to say a lengthy not Island
Saturday, June 11, 2016 11:57 AM
Allen not Island
Saturday, June 11, 2016 9:53 PM
I would say based on the design of the part a slide puller like for cv axles as a example.The pump probably would need to be placed in a vise to hold firm to put the fingers of a puller on the V area of the pulley and slide hammer it off.The shaft appears to be smooth in the pictures I checked on autozone minus the pulley on the actual pump assembly.I paid about $130.00 for a slide hammer kit that removes multiple items not just cv joints as again a example.Worst case take it to a machine shop and have it Done The Right way to not damage the pulley should be about a ten minute job in my opinion.If you goof up the shaft the pulley will be a pain to slide back on and Tap down firm and even and apply a thin bead of grease so it SLIDES not gripping the shaft.The pulley may be keyed in the sides so the pulley locks in a groove on the actual shaft to keep it from free wheeling while on the pump.Hope this is a good explanation.R

Sunday, June 12, 2016 8:11 PM
Thanks that helped
Sunday, June 12, 2016 8:59 PM
ok

Monday, June 13, 2016 12:51 AM
Autozone Lone-a-tool has a puller for rent. It has the pieces that goes on the rim and a bolt turns the pulley off. Works great and it is free to use.(you pay for, but get your money back when you return it.

This is the one I've used and it works like a charm. Easy, quick, made for the job.
http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/parts-puller-installer/oem-pulley-puller-installer-kit/141495_0_0/
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search