1998 2.2 cavalier - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1998 2.2 cavalier
Thursday, June 09, 2016 11:26 AM
Hello everyone. I got handed down a beat up cavalier to take me to college and work and she got me though the past winter relatively easy. I'm hoping she will last me one more year and there's two issues I need to address asap. ( Well one major and one not so much)

It has started to leak power steering fluid at an alarming rate. I can fill the reservoir and the steering will be fine, but in 2-3 days it seems to have all gone and steering has lost power until I add some in again. One time the fluid didnt even last me two days. This is my major concern.

Second thing, I'm constantly getting the red low coolant lamp lighting up. It's on 100% of the time when I start up, but it will randomly come off every now and then while driving. I'm thinking of bleeding but couldn't locate the radiator cap. I've been keeping an eye on the reservoir level and it has been okay. No overheating issues, it will slowly creep up past the normal halfway mark if I'm idling too long. The fan in front the radiator doesnt seem to be working. Hasnt been an issue yet, but not sure how it will hold up during the hot summer months.

Pretty novice when it comes to automobiles so any input would be appreciated. Got a good supply of hand tools though so hoping ti tackle this stuff at home. Money is tight and the car is really rusty/ rough shape cosmetically. Hoping I can get these tackled without too much cost or else I think I'll just scrap her and go back to transit haha.

Thanks, Steve.

Re: 1998 2.2 cavalier
Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:30 PM
You need a new one of these in the bottom of your coolant reservoir, and likely a new steering rack. I had mine replaced due to blown seals recently.

Engine Coolant Level Switch
Part Number: 22565474
Product Notes:
Engine Coolant Level Switch
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1995-2002

Hydraulic Rack and Pinion Steering Gear Assembly with Inner Tie Rods
Part Number: 19330436
Product Notes:
Remanufactured Rack and Pinion Assembly

Still rollin..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search