92 Cavalier Z24 3.1 Temp Control Sensor - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
92 Cavalier Z24 3.1 Temp Control Sensor
Tuesday, June 28, 2016 12:11 AM
Well here we go I have a 1992 Cavalier Z24 3.1. I'm having the worst time of blowing the temp control sensor. You install it start the car it's starts to go up and it quits. The most it's lasted id 3.5 weeks. I've replaced 4 times........I'm at a loss.

Re: 92 Cavalier Z24 3.1 Temp Control Sensor
Thursday, June 30, 2016 8:31 PM
I read your very short problem.To help isolate the the problem I have some questions in regard to that.From the 1st time the problem started what happened.Did the gauge in the car just stop working?Granted with a 24 yr old car sending units can go bad.Normally to Verify a bad sending unit is to unplug the connector from the sender and use a good piece of wire and place into the end of the connector and ground it to a clean piece of metal on the block.If the gauge reads say full on Hot or pegged it is the sending unit.IF when doing the same grounding makes it read Cold on not register a bad gauge.I would think you need to use a multimeter to verify continuity thru the sending wire.If you have replaced it 4 times and keeps showing a bad or inaccurate reading points to 1 of 2 things.Either you have a weak link in the wiring or bad connection from the engine bay to firewall into the car Or your cluster gauge could have a problem.I am slightly tired but,I had a similar issue with my fuel gauge.It read full but less that two gallons of fuel in the tank ( really)I had to replace my sending unit to get the issue fixed.Any further Detailed information can maybe help me understand what is going on with your ride.I personally think your sending unit is fine but either a issue in the wiring or gauge itself.R

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search