"CHECK OIL" Light Steady - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
"CHECK OIL" Light Steady
Tuesday, April 04, 2017 9:20 AM
Yo fellow J Busy bodies!

I have a 1995 Cavalier LS Sedan with the LN2 and the dat-blamed check oil light has been on for three years. I will try to explain this as best I can. This is the YELLOW light, not the red one. The pressure is good. I have checked the OIL already. There are NO leaks! It's a new engine with 10,000 miles on it. The Light was on when the old engine was pulled out. I have the FACTROY repair books on these cars and it mentions loss of serial data to the system that monitors the oil level. The oil level switch Is new. The battery has been disconnected for two minutes. Does anyone have any idea of what this could be? I suspect the ECM is failing but not sure. I have a new gauge cluster with matching GM PARTSLINK OEM #'s and it is the version with all the gauges and for the Three Speed auto. Any other ideas?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/D1cAAOSwAYtWI9WJ/s-l1600.jpg

This is what my cluster looks like except it is a three speed. The little bugger appears on the right side. Thanks!

Re:
Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:18 AM
The yellow oil light on my 1996 2.4L Cavalier was falsely on for over a year. I finally replaced the oil level sensor (one time when I changed the oil) and that solved the problem. You mentioned that your oil level "switch" is new. I guess you meant the oil level "sensor", but I thought I'd toss that out, just in case.
Re:
Saturday, April 29, 2017 7:18 PM
Id check your grounds or the wire that goes to the sensor. And make sure you have the correct plug in said sensor. I know certain plugs can fit into more then 1 spot.
Re:
Wednesday, July 05, 2017 10:45 AM
Thanks for the help guys! Dang light is still on after a new sensor was installed. I have tried to find the TSB on the Oil LEVEL SENSOR but to no avail. I had to have a relay installed per a recall and they checked the computer at the same time and they said the ECM was bad so will try to replace and see if that gets rid of it along with a host of other things...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search