ABS and Parking Brake Light On - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ABS and Parking Brake Light On
Tuesday, May 01, 2018 6:30 PM
Just a couple days ago, both the ABS and Parking Brake light have come on in my 94' Cavalier Z24. When I start the engine, it completes its self-test on the ABS system. I hear the mechanical sounds and then they quit like normal, as if it were working properly. About 3 seconds after the self-test completes, the two lights come on. I have checked the brake fluid and the master cylinder is full. This happened a few times intermittently before, but now it is constant. The ABS light and Brake light are steadily lit, as opposed to flashing. When the lights pop on, I do hear a click of some sort, maybe a relay or some other component. If you have any ideas please let me know, thanks!

Re: ABS and Parking Brake Light On
Thursday, May 03, 2018 10:48 AM
Fluid all the way to the top? Mine was doing it and I filled the master all the way to the very top. Light went off and stayed off. ( Must be a bad float)

Another thing could be loose wheel bearings or a bad abs sensor.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Sunday, May 06, 2018 11:17 AM
The fluid is all the way to top, and the passenger said wheel bearing may be bad. I’m not quite sure yet, but I believe it may be loose. Thanks for the suggestion!
Sunday, May 06, 2018 11:28 AM
Yes, the hub is bad. Until I replace it, I have no idea if its the cause
Sunday, May 06, 2018 3:56 PM
When the hub is bad the abs sensor doesn't get a good signal because of the wobble it causes.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search