Oil leak caused from plugged crankcase ventilation? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil leak caused from plugged crankcase ventilation?
Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:58 PM
Hello I have a 2000 cavalier LN2. So 2.2 ohv engine. Its got a small oil leak. I notice some oil om the valve cover and on the rear side of the oil pan. But it never leaks oil on the ground. The engine bay smells like burned oil. Oil level drops about 0.5 to 1 quart between oil changes.

Since this car doesnt have a pcv valve how do i clean out the crankcase ventilation system?

Thanks

Re: Oil leak caused from plugged crankcase ventilation?
Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:29 PM
Hello,

I'm not sure positive crank case pressure is the problem, there should be a line the redirects the pressure back into the intake with no check valve.
I had the same issue with my 2.2 just changed the valve cover gasket and made sure to always change the oil filter O-Ring on the cap (on oil changes).
No more issues from the top leaking - however the rear main was the next big leak I had to tackle. ( ALL the time no oil would leak on the ground).
Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:01 PM
Also forgot to mention, that the TSB on this engine say anymore then 1 quart you should change the valve cover to the indented ones ( just get a new one on the gm site and it comes that way.) oil baffles in different places. they say up to that 1quart amount is normal. after that your dealing with problematic leaks like valve seals, rings, head gasket. Attached is a picture of the first half of the TSB, so you can search it up if need be.
Attachments
TSB2.2.PNG (40k)

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:42 AM
Watching o.o
Mine recently started showing close to a quart low at my last couple oil changes. No visible drips on the ground. I'm sure it's leaking somewhere off the back of the block it's nasty back there. Gotta clean it all down and look for new leaking I guess.

Oh that TSB is for the 2.2 Ecotec, looks like Mike's got the OHV LN2, like mine.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search