CV joint failure - how long have I got? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CV joint failure - how long have I got?
Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:48 AM

So about 8 years ago in 2010 my driver's side CV boot ripped wide open and hurled out all of the grease everywhere. Not long after that, the passenger side went. So I have been driving around for the last 8+ years with both of them wide open and no grease (I assume) in either of them with no problems and it hasn't made any difference. That's good since I can't afford to have anything that isn't a matter of immediate emergency fixed. There are about 100 things that need to be fixed so only the ones that prevent the car from starting, running or moving (in that order) get fixed.

Anyway, a week or so ago, I noticed a popping, clicking sound when making a right turn and it has slowly become worse but isn't constant. My assumption is that the CV joint is the source of the noise. I am in a much (and I can't emphasize how much) worse financial situation than I was back in 2010. So while this has my attention and has me worried, I can't afford to have it fixed. So my question is: is there anything other than needing one or both of the CV half-axle shafts replaced that can be done or that would be the source of the problem noise? And more importantly, how long can I go with this given my description. Keep in mind, when the boots first ripped open, everyone told me I had to get them fixed right away and they weren't talking about just the boots being repaired. I know how that worked out now that it is 8+ years later. But my concern is what will real failure mean if I keep driving - especially while I am driving down the road at full speed.

It is full-on winter here now with snow and ice and sub-freezing temps and I have no place to work on the car. And I have no health insurance so I sure can't get hurt screwing around with it either.

Re: CV joint failure - how long have I got?
Wednesday, December 12, 2018 6:55 AM
Well, if you would have replaced the boots back then for less than $20 we probably would not have this post. My question is, how did both boots tear? They usually do not tear on their own. I would get them replace because if they fail, you will have way bigger issues then a cv axle. It will flop around and beat everything up if it is at any type of speed. You may cause more damage,

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, December 12, 2018 10:53 AM

Yeah, back when they ripped, I looked into just fixing the boots, but everyone and everything I was told and read said that those (half-and-half / clamshell) things don't work and just fall apart and that the only thing to do was replace the whole half-axle - which of course made me unhappy once I started to see some of the estimates - thus as with all things when you are as poor as I am - the only option is to proceed as is and see what happens.

As far as how it happened - no doubt the terrible road quality, ridiculous potholes and manhole covers that are in the worst parts of all lanes of traffic around Raleigh - and that are all about 3 inches deep - has something to do with it. There are some pretty good videos online about how to do it and each half-axle costs around $80 at the parts store so if I could just find someone to do it rather than taking it into a shop I'd be ok.

I am done taking my car to repair places because every time I do - I get it back with all sorts of new problems and damage because they don't listen to me about what precautions to take with it and figure that its just an old car and that I won't care (which couldn't be more wrong since it is all I have).
Friday, December 14, 2018 4:36 PM
The bearing in the axles are damaged. Replace them and you should be fine.

ASE Certified Technician (A1,A4,A5,A6,A7)
DiamlerChrysler Certified Technician
Volvo/Ford Entry Level Certified Technician
Hyundai Motors Bronze,Silver and Gold Certified Technician
Option D Racing Member
Saturday, January 12, 2019 9:49 PM
Dean,

Reading through your posts it appears that you need to get a different car. I
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search