Replacing Ignition Switch - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Replacing Ignition Switch
Saturday, October 12, 2019 8:21 PM
I have a 1995 Pontiac sunfire se 2.2l. My ignition switch appears to be a rare one. The part number is #26034119, however the only ones I can find have 11 pins for the wires to connect to. My ignition switch has 12 pins. If I use an 11 pin switch some of the components do not work nor will the car start. I was told by someone online that only some of the pins are used, and that I can rearrange the wiring to work with the common ignition switch.

The problem I am having is my ignition switch will not send the signal to the starter solenoid. I have narrowed it down to the switch. I thought it was the starter, but it is not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any diagrams or pics would help me alot.

Thanks

Re: Replacing Ignition Switch
Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:04 PM
Might not be the ignition. There's another switch on the clutch for manual, or the gear selector for auto, to make sure the clutch is in all the way, or your in park or neutral, before the starter will get power.
Could be the ignition switch though.
Re: Replacing Ignition Switch
Monday, November 04, 2019 7:13 PM
I did end up fixing it. It was the ignition switch. I used a multi-meter and a test light to test all of the wires. I took a GM one from a local junkyard, and discovered the 11 pin version is only missing one pin that is not in use. So there is no difference between the 11 and 12 pin ignition switch. I had an after market 11 pin ignition switch, and certain components did not work. This led me to believe that the missing pin between my original switch, and the new one was the problem. It was not though. The aftermarket ignition switch was just crap.

Thanks for the reply thoug.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search